JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Notebook 9 15" NP940X5N-x01US "all boot options are tried" and "critical process died"

(Topic created: 01-11-2021 07:57 PM)
usere5ckeA1BuF
Astronaut
Options
Computers

Hello,

I'm looking for some suggestions or service help. I keep getting a "critical process died" BSOD on my new computer, it is about a year old. I noticed that there was a similar thread error for a model in the same family, but no solution. I have a service plan, but when I sent it in they said the problem was caused by a software conflict. The problem happened again after they wiped the hard drive and did a full re-install. This time I did a computer reset and It crashed with the same error without any programs being added.

The crashes usually happen:

1.  When starting up
  2. when switching to battery or powersave mode
  3. using chrome
  4. using adobe products

I can get it repaired or replaced by my warranty contract but they said if I send it in again, and they reach the same conclusion they will refuse to repair the real issue.

This makes the comuter essentially unusable, and a waste of $1200.

Samsung usually has good products but this is ridiculous. I need some help

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userQBtDOuqHoX
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Try these solutions:

1.  Troubleshoot the device and hardware:

Go Settings > Update and Security > Troubleshoot > Hardware and Devices, then click on Run the troubleshooter. 

2. Run command prompt as administrator, and run the command: sfc /scannow

3. Run anti-virus software to remove virus or malware if exists.

4. Uninstall recent Windows Updates.

5. Perform system restore to the state before the critical process died occurred if you created a restore point before.

6Factory reset or reinstall.

Good Luck.

View solution in context

6 Replies
Solution
userQBtDOuqHoX
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Try these solutions:

1.  Troubleshoot the device and hardware:

Go Settings > Update and Security > Troubleshoot > Hardware and Devices, then click on Run the troubleshooter. 

2. Run command prompt as administrator, and run the command: sfc /scannow

3. Run anti-virus software to remove virus or malware if exists.

4. Uninstall recent Windows Updates.

5. Perform system restore to the state before the critical process died occurred if you created a restore point before.

6Factory reset or reinstall.

Good Luck.

usere5ckeA1BuF
Astronaut
Options
Computers
it occurred since I got the computer
0 Likes
userxiHU2bC8hi
Constellation
Options
Computers

By any chance did you resolve this issue? I'm having the same exact problem, even when I first tried typing this response. In the event logs it says "failed to create dump file" so I can't trace it much further - I've tried all the repair commands, updating drivers, etc. 

I definitely notice it crashes often when I wake from a long sleep, or when I disconnect it from my docking station. But otherwise its very random - sometimes a sudden BSOD, or sometimes programs slowly crash and I can witness the failure.

usere5ckeA1BuF
Astronaut
Options
Computers
Yes, the answer was the SSD was bad. Both Samsung and my repair company claimed it was software and therefore they wouldn't fix it. But I upgraded to a new ssd and all the problems disappeared
0 Likes
userxiHU2bC8hi
Constellation
Options
Computers

Thank you for the response, I have a lead now! How did you narrow it down to SSD? Cause I've seen other threads where Samsung replaced the motherboard, although users say it didn't fix it. I don't get any dump logs or specific enough error codes to trace my error. But if you insist on SSD I will try to swap it out. Also, which SSD did you buy? Thank you.

0 Likes
usere5ckeA1BuF
Astronaut
Options
Computers
When I did the factory wipe it crashed before I installed any new software, I just moved data over. And it crashed when I got close to a certain percentage utilized. I'm guessing I had a bad or worn out sector of my ssd. While I can't guarantee that it is the ssd it is a relatively cheap fix, you can get a mediocre ssd for under $100 and a good one for under $200. I found out my model could secretly accept an NvMe even though it was rumored and unverified in the specs of the computer so I tried it and it worked like a charm.
0 Likes