Original topic:

Notebook 9 Pro: Mouse, Touchscreen or Stylus glitch - ghost click

(Topic created: a month ago)
GuitarComputer21
Asteroid
Options
Computers

The Notebook 9 Pro is working well, except for a glitch that started today.

I don't use the S Pen stylus that much. Today I used the stylus a lot, to navigate on a website and "click" on forms. I also used the touchscreen and selected some of options on the forms using a finger. Other than some lag, it worked OK.

The problem is that there is now a "ghost click" on the screen, toward the bottom middle, every 30 seconds or so. Always in the same spot. As if I were clicking on that spot with the mouse, but I'm not. It's making the computer almost unusable. (It's difficult to type this when the ghost click keeps resetting the cursor location.)

I updated the Samsung device drivers. I ran Windows Update. My computer has all the Windows updates already. I'm running Windows 10. The computer has been working fine until today. Everything works except for the ghost click glitch.

I don't use the trackpad. I confirmed that it is disabled. I tried turning off the S Pen. That didn't help.

Any ideas? Is it the S Pen stylus? I clicked on the stylus button several times. Once, and then twice, to see if that changes any settings. That didn't help.

I wiped down the touchscreen with a microfiber cloth, in case the problem was dust or dirt on the screen. That didn't help.

Thanks.

0 Likes
2 Replies
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Computers

I will be happy to look in to your case. Please send the full model and serial numbers to this PM Link. If the PM link is not working for you, you can click on my name and send me a private message directly from my profile.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

GuitarComputer21
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I sent the PM.

I also found an older thread from 2017 about this exact issue: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Computers/Notebook-9-Pro-15-quot-Ghost-Touches/td-p/180083

I'm not sure they ever found a resolution. Others noted similar problems with ghost clicks on the touchscreen. I did find it helpful to turn off the touchscreen function completely. That seems to have resolved the near-constant ghost clicks on my screen, but I can no longer use the touchscreen functions.

The ghost click problem made the computer almost unusable. Every time I typed messages or emails or this post, the ghost click would reset the cursor to the bottom-middle of the screen. Very frustrating. The ghost clicks would sometimes activate hyperlinks on the page if they happened to be under the random click.

At least I can use the computer normally again, but only after turning off the touchscreen function. I did this from Windows Computer Management/System Tools/Device Manager. In the middle window, all of the devices and features of the computer are listed. Under Human Interface Devices, right click on "HID-compliant touch screen" and select "Disable device".

That should stop the ghost clicks, at the cost of not being able to use the touchscreen or the S Pen stylus. For those who rely on those functions, this is a severe trade-off. I'm still hoping there is a better solution.

I unplugged the computer and waited for a minute before plugging it back in. That didn't help. 

0 Likes