cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

Odyssey 2 charging issues in “Beast Mode”

I bought a Samsung Odyssey 2 (NP850XBD, assembled in Oct 2019) in December 2019 and, since its acquisition, it has been draining battery while gaming with “Beast Mode” activated in games like Fortnite, Overwatch, CS:GO, and so on, until it reaches 5% and emitting a message alert of battery almost running out of charge.

I‘ve been making tests with Battery Life Extender+ feature on and off, I’ve changed Windows power settings from power saving to high performance profiles but the problem persists, with the computer discharging after I start gaming when battery level reaches 85% on Battery Life Extender+. 

Brazilian Store Fast Shop sent me other notebook last Friday (also assembled in Oct. 2019) and, for my surprise, it is still discharging while plugged in power cord with Battery Life Extender+ on and it stays in intermittent charging when Battery Life Extender+ is off. 

Brazilian branch of Samsung Customer Care Service wasn’t able to help me with a plausible solution and I don’t know if anyone can provide other power supply from a different production batch, so I could keeping making test and see if it’s only a problem with those power supplies or, otherwise, it has an issue in its manufacturing design. 

So, if someone can help me with instructions how to solve that issue to cease battery draining while the notebook is plugged in after playing all day long, so that I don't compromise the battery cycle count with Battery Life Extender + switched off, I will appreciate it a lot. 

Thank you in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Odyssey 2 charging issues in “Beast Mode”

Hello, I am a fellow BR and  came across this thread actively looking for people complaning about battery drain in this model.

I am in the market for a new laptop and Odyssey 2 was my top choice until I noticed its power supply is only 160W (almost all competitors use 180W or even 230W in this price range). Immediately I started looking for complaints, its impossible to provide enough power for demanding games with this low wattage, samsung really messed up there.

Would you mind telling us how long it takes for it to drain completely when playing CSGO for example ?
And what about the keyboard, did you find it to be too shallow?

Thank you

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Odyssey 2 charging issues in “Beast Mode”

Welcome, fellow brazilian! 

After a treatment, at least, with disregard from Samsung about that issue reported (after all they asked me to take the newly purchased notebook to the technical assistance for a period of up to one month to analyze it), i opted to return it to Fast Shop for refund. I tested two notebooks assembled in october 2019 and they both were drainning the battery, unfortunately. I threw away those battery reports, otherwise I could share them with you. 

My son tested the notebooks with Fortnite, Shadow of Tomb Raider Raibow Six Siege ; I am not so sure if he played CS: GO in the meantime. Anyways, it was impossible to keep playing for more than eight hours because the battery went from 85% to 5% (plugged in), using Beast Mode feature and connecting to USB ports a keyboard (HyperX Mars RGB) and a mouse (Logitech G903).

Surely 160W for a power hungry notebook was not a correct design choice from Samsung and its brazilian customer service was terrible. 

An off-topic: I was thinking about to buy an Acer Predator Helios 300 with discount last week but I called the customer care for more informations (the user manual is too poor) and I concluded it could suffer with the same issue (power supply with only 180W) but neither it has a built-in overclock feature nor G-Sync feature. Anyways, some computer manufacturers announced the next gen family of gaming notebooks with Intel 10th gen processors.