cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Odyssey G7

I like the look of the new Odyssey G7. But there are two things that I don't like...

1. The 1000R Curvature which is also not properly curved. Coming from 1800R, I see no reason to go as extreme as 1000R, and also to mix straight with curve is just weird. Why did you choose to do that? I would much prefer an 1800R version of this display, I could brave a ~1600R curvature. That wouldn't be too far from the design that I'm familiar with. But frankly, this 1000R just looks too curved and mixing the curve with straight edges looks too odd for me. I both work and game on my desktop, so too much curve is out of place.

2. The refresh rate seems way too high. That's fine if the adaptive sync can still operate down to 50Hz. But NVidia compat page says 80-240Hz. Many games run at around 80 or even less with ultra graphics and esp. raytracing. I have an RTX 2060 and I sometimes see framerates down around 80 or even less depending on the demands of the game and what visual settings I'm using. 240 Hz really only matters to professional gamers who won't be using HDR and 10 bit color anyway. I don't understand who this display is targeting. People who want the quality of HDR and 10 bit will also be pushing visuals up to High/Ultra and looking to use raytracing, so 144Hz is a good refresh rate. Are there even cards that can push those framerates?

How does this display handle adaptive sync down at those lower framerates, < 80Hz? I'm OK with the high frame rate if it doesn't affect lower framerates in anyway. Because the reality is, even with a $700 graphics card today, we are seeing framerates of 40 fps with certain gfx settings.

Are we likely to see a version of this display with a more familiar and uniform curvature? Maybe 1600R?

And another question, I've seen specs say both GSync Compatible (adaptive sync compatible) and GSync - which one is it?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Odyssey G7

the 2 series card are not great. rtx suffers frames. waiting for the 3080 or 3080ti card will clean up performance a lot and ray tracing Smiley Happy ps5 be cool too Smiley Happy. Depends on your hardware too but yeah 2 series I tried it saw no difference. my 980ti is still rocking strong today got it 5 plus years go too. They are both gsync and adaptive sync adpative sync gives you not so high vrr variable refreshrates. gsync is butter smooth and high refreshrates. adative sync is good for ps5 when comes out. works with  xbox one x. gsync all the way though!

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Odyssey G7

just got my g7, using a 980 ti and cant hit 1440p with 240hz enabled, only 144hz. also using dp cable that was in the box, is this card not capable of hitting that resolution and hz?