Original topic:

Regarding the Galaxy Book Pro Series

(Topic created on: 2/23/21 9:21 PM)
Notebook9Guy
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Hi - I'm writing this to suggest a more reasonable/user-friendly set of features for your upcoming Galaxy Book Pro and Galaxy Book Pro 360 laptops.

Disclaimer: This is in no way an attack of any sort. This is merely suggestion & critique based on the current climate of the laptop industry. This message is to the Samsung Product Group for the Computing sector,  but anyone can comment with their thoughts

First, I want to address the display. It's wonderful that you are implementing 90Hz screens. However, the 16:9 aspect ratio is holding these laptops back. The widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio not suitable for business laptops - especially laptops with screens smaller than 15 inches. Consumers that code or work in the office need the vertical space to properly use their applications. In addition, consumers that use the S-Pen frequently will feel more comfortable with a screen that has a decent amount of vertical space for their hands. You have achieved this before with devices like the Galaxy Tab S3, which had a 3:2 display. Consider using a unique aspect ratio to accommodate the "Pro" audience you are marketing to. For example, 16:11 -- this falls between the 16:10 and 3:2 aspect ratios that are especially popular recently. Rather than relying on the consumer base from the smartphone ecosystem, you should be aiming to take more of the market by being updated on the trends first before attempting to innovate. No company wants to look "out of the loop." While on the topic of the display, how will the OLED displays on the Galaxy Book Pro lineup affect the battery life? Will this OLED be as power consuming as OLED panels we've seen in the past? Higher refresh rates generally consume more power as well, so have you found a way to conserve power while delivering performance, or is the emphasis simply on performing? Will there be non-OLED options with the same refresh rate? These are questions that I hope will be answered.

Second, I need to stress that Galaxy Book Pro lineup needs to have a dedicated GPU. You already have Galaxy Books that are marketed to the Ultrabook and Premium categories. There is no reason to start selling another laptop that has no graphical capabilities for professional work. The average laptop consumer already perceives Samsung laptops as overpriced. You do no want to further taint that image by selling a 1500USD "Pro" laptop that doesn't even have dedicated graphics. That would be self-sabotage. Consumers research now more than ever - even someone unfamiliar with the ultrabook market can tell when they can get a better deal elsewhere. As of now, the only major selling point of a Samsung laptop in North America is the S-Pen for digital artists -- and the S-Pen is only compatible with the Flex series. I recommend you provide them with the graphics power to render and export their animations, as they would surely feel like they only bought the laptop for the pen otherwise.

Third, STRONGLY consider switching to AMD CPU chips. Since I hold you to a high standard, I trust that you have a team that does research within the market. For that reason, I believe you know that Intel chips reach higher temperatures and run the fans under the most basic of tasks. You are aware that AMD chips are more convenient for your goals - and that they are compatible with Thunderbolt now. So why is it that you have, allegedly, chosen to use Intel chips in your upcoming laptops? Assuming you aren't under contract, there is no point to this decision. We know that it costs less to use AMD chips. We know that AMD chips are faster. We know that AMD chips produce less heat. If you're worried about shortages, offer both AMD and Intel options. Don't be willingly counterproductive. 

Finally, an end note: If you're going to charge premium prices, there should be no questions about performance, heat, and durability. Asus is selling two of the best laptops out there at a 1400USD price point. Considering they are a leader in this industry, they have more of a reason to charge higher "premium" prices than you do for this quality (which you aren't even offering currently). They have the accolades that are relevant to the industry. You have no reason to charge more with the specs you are providing. A laptop with an 11th generation Intel i5 U series processor is not worth more than 800USD under ANY circumstance - especially without a dedicated graphics card. The laptop industry is changing for the better so please do yourself a favor, and move forward with them. There are many consumers that are waiting for a new Samsung laptop every year, only to be disappointed with the lack of meaningful updates. CPU and peripheral/port refreshes are mandatory updates, not luxuries. Every other manufacturer has, and will be offering those same updates, as we've seen with Dell, HP, Acer and Lenovo. The difference between those brands and Samsung is that they've led the PC industry at some point, whether in the portable market or the desktop market - and that they offer dedicated graphics cards for their laptops even below their business and premium models. They do this because laptop consumers care about performance more than brand. It's the same reason why major manufacturers are switching to AMD. Unless you have your own proprietary chip that works wonders, there is no reason waste time with Intel chips that will be outdated and complained about in the near future (considering they already perform the worst of the major processors at the moment).

There isn't much to take with a grain of salt here, considering the climate of the laptop market. I genuinely hope that you take these points into consideration and improve on your laptops going forward.

- Best Wishes,

A Guy with a Notebook 9 Pro (the 2017 version with the S-Pen and AMD Radeon 540 GPU)

4 Replies
TheGalaxy
Nebula
Options
Computers
X86 is on its way out
ARM is the future
Notebook9Guy
Asteroid
Options
Computers

@TheGalaxy  If Samsung were using their own ARM-based chips for the GB Pro series, much of my post probably wouldn't exist. Unfortunately, they chose the worst of the current processors. If Samsung used their own chip we'd at least know what direction they were going in. Using Intel in their Pro series is just irresponsible...

0 Likes
TheGalaxy
Nebula
Options
Computers
soon after ARM, RISCV would replace all architecture.
within next 10 years, Intel will dissappear, AMD become a very niche market and RISCV will takeover everything
0 Likes
Notebook9Guy
Asteroid
Options
Computers

@TheGalaxy Well that's wonderful, but it doesn't address the other issues here. 

0 Likes