JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

bios password reset Samsung notebook 9 pro

(Topic created: 06-16-2023 09:44 AM)
user5TbU5wN0Li
Constellation
Options
Computers

could you please tell me how can I reset UEFI (bios) password on Samsung galaxy notebook 9 pro 2017? translated by google.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Biggus
Nebula
Options
Computers
The manual says:

* If you forget the Supervisor Password or HDD Password, request assistance from the Samsung Service Center. In this case, a service fee will be charged.
* If you forget the User Password, disable the Supervisor Password, and the User Password is also automatically disabled.

So it depends on the password you have set. If it's the supervisor password you should be able to take the back off and either remove the CMOS battery for about 10 seconds. Some models don't have CMOS batteries, in that case you have to disconnect the main battery. It's that or pony up cash to Samsung for a reset that's been documented clearly on every computer I've ever owned.

I doubt factory reset will reset the supervisor password.

If the HDD password is set (it should ask before it will boot at all) you can't just clear it AFAIK because it's usually needed to decrypt some of the hard drive.

If you can get into Windows back the entire system up before you open it up to try. I'll take apart and reassemble desktops all day without doing this step but laptops have too many easily damageable components. One I had even had a series of zinc-air batteries on the outer edge designed to provide enough energy to phone home to a lost device server via SIM if the feature was on and the device was opened in an attempt to clear CMOS. This type of battery is sponge-like and dissolves when it is activated by air exposure, and they were all connected by a hair thin wire that was impossible to not break if you didn't have the right tools. Complete overkill and totally undocumented in the manuals.

If you do get it reset I'd strongly recommend not setting a UEFI password; your security against someone who gets their hands on your machine should be not to let them in the first place. A laptop thief could probably give you detailed instructions on how to do this reset faster than samsung service could

View solution in context

2 Replies
Solution
Biggus
Nebula
Options
Computers
The manual says:

* If you forget the Supervisor Password or HDD Password, request assistance from the Samsung Service Center. In this case, a service fee will be charged.
* If you forget the User Password, disable the Supervisor Password, and the User Password is also automatically disabled.

So it depends on the password you have set. If it's the supervisor password you should be able to take the back off and either remove the CMOS battery for about 10 seconds. Some models don't have CMOS batteries, in that case you have to disconnect the main battery. It's that or pony up cash to Samsung for a reset that's been documented clearly on every computer I've ever owned.

I doubt factory reset will reset the supervisor password.

If the HDD password is set (it should ask before it will boot at all) you can't just clear it AFAIK because it's usually needed to decrypt some of the hard drive.

If you can get into Windows back the entire system up before you open it up to try. I'll take apart and reassemble desktops all day without doing this step but laptops have too many easily damageable components. One I had even had a series of zinc-air batteries on the outer edge designed to provide enough energy to phone home to a lost device server via SIM if the feature was on and the device was opened in an attempt to clear CMOS. This type of battery is sponge-like and dissolves when it is activated by air exposure, and they were all connected by a hair thin wire that was impossible to not break if you didn't have the right tools. Complete overkill and totally undocumented in the manuals.

If you do get it reset I'd strongly recommend not setting a UEFI password; your security against someone who gets their hands on your machine should be not to let them in the first place. A laptop thief could probably give you detailed instructions on how to do this reset faster than samsung service could
user5TbU5wN0Li
Constellation
Options
Computers

thanks for the response. Could you please tell me how much it costs to recover the bios password and where to go? I have a code issued after 3 failed attempts (44 characters I think). translated by google.

0 Likes