Original topic:

S21 Ultra Camera - Pro features

(Topic created on: 1/27/21 6:08 PM)
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Creator

As a hobby photographer this video has me excited.  I've never really had a phone that could take good photos and this is the main reason I bought the S21 Ultra, which arrives tomorrow,

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra - Camera First look and Pro Photographers Tips - YouTube

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
7 Replies
awesmdiver
Asteroid
Options
Creator

Let me know how it goes for you as a Pro camera.  Mine is horrible taking Pro (raw) pictures - they are soft, out of focus and usually darker than the actual settings.   On my S9+ Auto mode in Pro mode was great but on the S21 Ultra it's unusable in my opinion at the moment. 

FYI, the corresponding .jpgs (.heic) are OK but not great either for the hype that Samsung put on the camera system.   Hoping it's a firmware/software issue.

bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Creator

@awesmdiver 

I havent had a chance to play with it much but I did take a few pictures of my parrot and I think they came out great.  Was in Pro and then point and shoot.  As for the raw pics pics if I get time I'll try some tomorrow but they should represent what your camera saw with little processing and are typically have no in camera sharpening etc applied as they are meant for post processing.

nike1-31-21.jpg

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
0 Likes
awesmdiver
Asteroid
Options
Creator

Understood no in-camera processing on the raw images, but even in LR or PS I cannot sharpen them as the .DNG files are just to soft and as you said, they are what the camera actually sees which concerns me.  They should not be soft or darker than the actual setting the picture is taken in.

Also when you do shoot in Pro (raw) format the .JPG are fine its only the .DNG with issues.  However if you pixel peek there is a lot of noise even when shooting on the 108MP sensor.

I will post some .DNGs tomorrow.

0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Creator

@awesmdiver Gotcha, I am also used to the raw just being  a softer version of the jpg (with all the detail data of course).

My expectations are tempered in the "Pro" department because I know it will not be as good as my DSLR and expensive glass.  What't I'm hoping for is a picture, which to the non-pixel peeping eye, looks good enough so that I can leave the heavy stuff at home for casual shooting.

Bill
---
0 Likes
awesmdiver
Asteroid
Options
Creator

The problem is my S9+ in Pro (raw) mode takes cleaner, sharper images hence my concerns.  I am sure it will turn out to be a software / firmware issue but how this got past their QA is surprising.  Granted I understand that 99% of people out there just shoot in normal mode but if you are going to offer a Pro (raw) mode you got to make sure that it produces the best picture.

BTW great looking parrot.

0 Likes
Darkhorse41
Astronaut
Options
Creator
I'm having the same issues coming from an S10+ my photos were much better.
0 Likes
Darkhorse41
Astronaut
Options
Creator

How are you Photographic results? mine isn't as nice as the S10+ I had. I photograph Predator/Alien figures. darkhorse4161 on IG. 

0 Likes