Did you mean: 

Original topic:

5G Connectivity

(Topic created on: 10/23/20 10:54 PM)
DABMEYOU
Astronaut
Options
Discussions
5G seems to be switching automatically to 4G LTE when there is clearly 5G coverage. Anybody else having this issue after the latest beta update?
userhgGdd0mkwD
Astronaut
Options
Discussions
please everyone clarify the carrier. if you have Tmobile , this is a carrier issue , not device. one solution is to disable the 5G network and simply use the 4g and below networks. this will eliminate connectivity issues with tmobile. recently tmobile made a switch to use the 4g network as a backbone while being connected to 5G. this will help with loss of data at times. the public must be made aware, 5G waves do not penetrate well. you will have great 5G on the streets. but the second you get inside your home or go into a basement 5G will always disappear . this is a temp fix by tmobile , however I don't believe there is truely a long term solution as 5G has some serious flaws in the tech
shoman94
Galaxy
Options
Discussions
It is not a carrier issue. It was working just fine before going to the beta. This beta it is working better but when the phone is in 5G-NSA mode the data icon is showing 4gLTE instead of 5G. The phone is preferring NSA mode in lieu of SA mode.

Apparently you don't understand RF. The lower the frequency the better the penetration. Tmobile uses 600mhz as the 5G backbone.
userhgGdd0mkwD
Astronaut
Options
Discussions
to be polite , you couldn't be more wrong. I've been working with tmboile corporate in regards to this with an existing ticket . tmobile is currently using the 4G network as an anchor, and using the 5G network. this change was made in the past week due to the disconnect issues many people were experiencing. these issues are similar to when 4G was first released, and the coverage area and infrastructure we're not up to par ,thus all carriers used a hybrid system, once the networks were up to par, it became full fledge 4G. unfortunately this fix will not happen with 5G due to its poor penetration. anyone on here claiming 5G has better penetration than 4G 1) simply needs to test this for themselves by going from outside to inside their house and to their basement . test with 4G only and 5G only . secondly the mountains of documentation available with experiments proving this are available via the Internet .
0 Likes
JRock1276
Astronaut
Options
Discussions
You couldn't be more wrong. I was having zero problems with 5g until the beta. That includes inside my house. This is why low frequency is better for larger areas.
dortyboy
Halo
Options
Discussions
yeah me to. my phone was always 5g no matter where I am not it's just 4g all the time
0 Likes
userhgGdd0mkwD
Astronaut
Options
Discussions
what carrier , what s20 line model, what city . there certain cities in the U.S with a 5G network up to par, but it's maybe 3-4 cities in the whole country . you may be one of the lucky ones
0 Likes
Pumarun951
Asteroid
Options
Discussions
you don't have any clue about RF(radio frequency) mostly T-mobile is using lower frequency for 5G(N71- 600 Mhz) , which means lower frequency penetrate the wall and it goes farther but less speed.
tonydamiani
Astronaut
Options
Discussions
Same here. I was having this problem since the 1st beta update.
0 Likes
dc20
Astronaut
Options
Discussions
yes
0 Likes
Pumarun951
Asteroid
Options
Discussions
yes, I do have the same issue on s20+ t-mobile USA