Did you mean:Ā 

Original topic:

85% Max charge

(Topic created: 10-28-2021 02:48 AM)
iNTRoVRT
Astronaut
Options
Discussions
Call me late, but did y'all realize Samsung added the option to have your battery limit the charging to 85%?

This is something I was wanting for a long time now! Rather than manually managing this via AccuBattery

#battery, #samsung, #oneui4, #android12,

RipWashington
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions
Thanks. I get the extended life of the battery part. My concern was whether there's cause for concern in not allowing the battery to discharge properly by holding it too long at 85 (or 100)%. I used to always keep my phone attached to a charger. My previous phone started overhearing to the point the cable started melting and the brick became red hot. I replaced that phone with the S21. Since buying it I only charge when the phone drops to 40% and I freak out when the phone reaches 85% without me immediately noticing it to detach the charging cable. I'm thinking I might be becoming overzealous with my phone charging habit.
0 Likes
Craig3
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions
I get the paranoia, but trust me, it's fine. If you want to find out more detail than you ever thought you'd possibly want, you can read up on the science of it at Battery University. https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

But generally, the damage comes from the higher voltage, not the holding vs discharging. So yes, ideally in a perfect world you would remove the phone from the charger as soon as it's done charging, but just by limiting the max charge to 85% you should expect to get dramatically increased battery lifespan.

Having said that, keep in mind that Samsung designs their batteries to retain charge for longer than most other brands since the Note 7 battery fiasco. When they announced the battery improvements they made after that, they claimed that their batteries would retain 95% capacity after 1 year. My Galaxy S8+ still has just under 90% capacity after 4.5 years, so I wouldn't go crazy obsessing over being perfect with your battery.

Setting the limit to 85% should be more than enough to ensure that your battery lasts the life of the phone. Any extra benefit from trying to always perfectly charge your phone is probably wasted energy.
RipWashington
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions
GOT It. šŸ˜Š I appreciate your prompt, informative and courteous response...THANK YOU.
AvinSSuser
Star
Options
Discussions
Thanks for pointing ā˜ļø
0 Likes
austinhjjhfr
Astronaut
Options
Discussions
I wish it worked like the tab S7 where when you turn it on, 85% charge looks like 100% and it just adjusts the %.

On the s21 it doesn't rescale the % so it will say 85% at max.
Options
Discussions
I noticed this, too. Hopefully they change it in final release
0 Likes
pbaker76
Halo
Options
Discussions
Why don't manufacturers just increase the capacity of the battery size then by default adjust the charge limit to 85%ā€½
USBetaModerator
Beta Moderator
Options
Discussions

Hello @iNTRoVRT ,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We hope you enjoy the feature. It was implemented due to feedback from our previous beta program.

Regards

One UI Beta Team

usereVKlXDm6M4
Asteroid
Options
Discussions
I would love to see this feature have more to offer. It would be handy if you could manually adjust the charge limit. 85% is still a pretty high charge(for me at least), it's more than .20 of a full cycle. I have been consciously keeping my phone battery between 30% and 70% since I received it back in January. Nonetheless this is a very handy feature.
0 Likes
Pdickson
Astronaut
Options
Discussions

Hi, 

I understand why it does this now. However,  I've noticed my battery doesn't last all day as before.  My phone is almost dead by time I get off of work and I'm using it the same amount of time range. What could be causing this? 

0 Likes