Did you mean:Ā 

Original topic:

Android Auto - high battery drain and GPS issues

(Topic created: 09-21-2021 08:58 AM)
Jdrudd2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions
Over the last few days, after installing the beta software, I have noticed my battery draining very quickly. I used to get 13-15 hours easily in a full charge.
Lately, after pulling the phone off the charger at 7am, I'm down to 50% by 11am.

What I discovered is that Android Auto is sucking down my battery. I've also noticed that the icons in the upper right of my phone (S21 5G) toggle rapidly. It appears to be the GPS icon flashing off and on constantly while using Android Auto.

I am not sure how best to document this for you, or give you examples. But the bottom line is: the issue began after installing the beta software. I've done the cache wipe in recovery mode and that didn't fix anything.
As an experiment, I did not use my Android Auto yesterday and my battery lasted closer to 14 hours. 

Hopefully this can be looked at in more detail by the devs. Thank you! 
6 Replies
userV3z8TpkIvL
Constellation
Options
Discussions
With Spotify is the same problem. In 3 hours of use of 100% pass to 34%
0 Likes
bigbad614
Comet
Options
Discussions
I am betting it is related to the documented Bluetooth issue.
0 Likes
Laronpepper
Asteroid
Options
Discussions
Was having serious issues with battery until I cleared my cache
0 Likes
USBetaModerator
Beta Moderator
Options
Discussions

Hello @Jdrudd2 ,

Thank you for your feedback. If you havenā€™t already, Please update Samsung members app to latest version from galaxy store and send us an error report immediately after experiencing the issue from the Samsung memberā€™s app -> Beta Feedback -> Error Reports to help us debug the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your contribution to the beta program.

Regards,
One UI Beta Team

0 Likes
Ihr7
Astronaut
Options
Discussions
Mine drains really terribly when I use Bluetooth streaming, but really my battery has been draining really really badly since downloading the beta
0 Likes
DrFed
Comet
Options
Discussions
Now into third beta, and unfortunately it seems that Android Auto continues to drain battery even after the phone disconnects from the car. I'm using Android Auto wirelessly, and I've noticed a consistent high background battery use by Google Play Services after using my car. Google Play Services usage is high, I believe, because Google Maps (navigation) stays active (navigation notification continues to appear), and this seems to be active because Android Auto has not stopped running in the background. I've managed to decrease the Google Play Services battery drain by force stopping Android Auto and Google Maps after I exit the car. I'm not 100% sure, but both apps seem to start up again by themselves unless I restart the phone. I suppose I could restart the phone every time I get out of the car...but there has to be a better way. I'm using the S21 on TMo, third beta, I factory reset my phone after installing the first beta. I leave my Bluetooth radio on all day because I have my phone connected to my Chromebook when I'm at home, and I use Android Auto when I'm in the car.