Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Beta woes

(Topic created: 08-29-2023 09:08 PM)
ph03n1x
Asteroid
Options
Discussions
I have come across numerous posts stating that this is a beta build and, as such, it is expected to have bugs and issues. However, as a software developer myself, I do not expect a beta build to be this buggy. Software testing and quality assurance are integral parts of the development process and these issues should not have passed the alpha phase. I feel that Samsung may have been desperate to make the Android 14 beta available to users, perhaps in an attempt to stay ahead of their competitors.
25 Replies
JumpingHoses
Nebula
Options
Discussions
Beta is pretty loosely defined nowadays, no? At least in the game industry you can have open betas for unfinished, buggy messes and practically finished games that are just live service and in perpetual "beta"

Anyway, this is how Samsung's OneUI betas are, if not worse.
0 Likes
userqrdjZd3Yyp
Asteroid
Options
Discussions
This is the worst beta I've ever been apart of
JumpingHoses
Nebula
Options
Discussions
You've been fortunate, or haven't been part of many betas. I've been in betas that should have downright been alphas. Completely unfinished and untested. This first OneUI 6 beta is one of the more polished betas I've been a part of.
TheRoops
Comet
Options
Discussions
Then you never had one where they needed a hot fix. I remember when they sent out one with a bad kernel. Also another had literal superuser file issues.
Jkelley714
Galaxy
Options
Discussions
To add to jumpingHoses point, not only would I say the "beta" title is loosely applied, but I just don't understand people's frustration. Okay, this beta build isn't daily driver ready. It's just as easy to leave this beta and return to a stable build. Why would Samsung be desperate to release a beta build to a small community that enjoy testing it? What benefit would that serve for them as a company. As a software developer, you should know how valuable, a community of free bug testers are. I think it's less about them being desperate to release something and more of them trying to get more efficient and quicker with their update and bug patching process. Idk maybe it's just me I just think people expect "new software" rather than the idea that they are working on software that's currently in development.
Lounp
Halo
Options
Discussions
It would be nice to show a hands on experience for those who don't know the process. 😉
Cowboyintx
Asteroid
Options
Discussions
I have not a single problem.. it's stable as normal build
Options
Discussions
Very very minor UI stuff. Rest works fine for me too
jquest71
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions
Mostly the same, I've reported only 4 minor bugs.