Did you mean:Ā 

Original topic:

Exercise icon not showing on watchface since 5th beta update

(Topic created: a month ago)
jcnote
Galaxy
Options
Discussions

I haven't seen anyone else mention this and I'm wondering if I'm somehow the only one experiencing this. I've already done a factory reset and cleared cache from recovery with no change. I filed error reports both before and after the factory reset.

Ever since the 5th update on my Watch 6, whenever I workout the exercise icon does not show at the bottom of the watchface. So I can't press on it to get back to the workout screen. I've tried multiple Samsung watchfaces, a half dozen different types of workouts, did the factory reset, and cleared cache both before and after the factory reset.

It happens 100% of the time. I usually do 3 or 4 workouts a day and this is really annoying. Some of my workouts, I've stopped using the watch to track just because this is so disruptive to my workout. In order to get back to my workout screen, I have to open the app drawer, open Samsung Health, and click on the ongoing workout.

The other really annoying and disruptive thing is that in order to get to the pause or finish button, when I press the back button during a workout, it does not bring up that screen but sends me to the watchface. I then have to do the above steps to get back to the workout and hit the back button again to pause or finish. This has ruined many of my workout stats. Swiping right will not bring up the screen either and long pressing the back button will not pause and start either. It only works properly if I have newly entered the workout, not after I've actually been workout out.

Both of the above happen every time with every workout since the 5th beta. I thought the factory reset would resolve it, but no change to either of the above problems. Am I really the only one experiencing this?

0 Likes
15 Replies
Rclevit
Asteroid
Options
Discussions

I wish I was a dev lol. Just a casual user lurking on the community board. But I did see that Auto detection turned on after exercising, but walking icon disappeared after returning to home screen when Health notification was turned off šŸ˜ž

jcnote
Galaxy
Options
Discussions

Hey,  that's so crazy that we had the same complications in the same place in the same watch face.  Thanks for testing it out for me. Hopefully, it can get fixed now. I did so much work troubleshooting it to track down the cause. Thanks for confirming it happens for you too.

0 Likes
Rclevit
Asteroid
Options
Discussions

@jcnote 

We do? I've been seeing bunch of posts about "Stretched Time" issue so I avoided using that face after the 2nd update just to be on the safer sidešŸ¤£.

Yeah it was weird.. I swore I took multiple screenshots when this issue happened but it's not synced on my Phone's Sdcard because my watch was disconnected from the phone at the time... I might have to test again with screenshot for sufficient information.

0 Likes
jcnote
Galaxy
Options
Discussions

Yeah,  I originally submitted a bug on this using the Stretched Time face.  But then in response to another bug I filed,  the Mod told me there were issues with that face. So I switched to this one. I had just submitted a second bug on this issue with the same face and complications exactly as in your screenshot earlier in the day before you posted that. So I thought you must have seen my bug report with the screenshots of my watch face and been trying to recreate it. That was a funny coincidence. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to try to help with the bug.

0 Likes
USBetaModerator3
Beta Moderator
Options
Discussions

Hello @jcnote and @Rclevit

Thank you for providing your informative feedback on the "Exercise Icon" disappearing / absent from the Watch Face once the Auto-Detection is triggered and Health Notification is turned off. Your details helped us a lot to understand the issue further. 

This is a new conceptual design for Android System version 14 and higher, regardless of the Watch Face interface. Stretched Time Watch Face had an issue with software incompatibility (Between One UI 5 and 6) which caused battery drainage / overheating/ other conflicting issues on multiple users. For exercise icon to re-appear on the home screen, Health notification should be turned back On. 

Also, if you are experiencing inability to go back to your workout screen after triggering manually, you can always go back to your exercise mode and it should have no problem resuming/pausing the exercise again. 

Thank you all for your detailed description for the issue. 

Regards,

One UI Beta Team

0 Likes
jcnote
Galaxy
Options
Discussions

This really isn't acceptable. The exercise icon is not the same as a notification. You should not be forced to have notifications turned on to use this basic function. I use all the Health features but don't want any notifications so I want to have Health notifications off.

Not having the exercise icon on the watchface makes getting back to the exercise too cumbersome and slow and ruins many workouts. I've already stopped using it for half of my workouts because it makes the stats useless. The ones I do still use it for I'm constantly annoyed and irritated by the watch while I'm working out because of it.

Does nobody who works on development at Samsung actually use these watches for working out? Everytime I've ever submitted a bug related to anything while working out, the devs are clueless about any workout functions or stats or why they are even important. And of course they never get fixed.

This beta has made me consider other manufacturers for the first time in many years. I've always had Samsung phones, tablets, and watches. But the things I've experienced from the devs during this beta have made me lose faith in Samsung.

Now I have a watch that I can't use for one of it's primary purposes and it's the main reason I ever bought these watches in the first place. I'm researching other watches. And if I buy another manufacturer's watch, I have a lot less reason to keep buying Samsung phones too.

0 Likes