Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Factory reset

(Topic created on: 11/7/20 8:40 AM)
KevHar5
Halo
Options
Discussions
If you installed the beta 3 and are having issues but haven't done a factory reset, I highly recommend that you do so. The reset cleared up most all my issues and the phone is running so much better and smoother. I used Smartswitch and backed up everything to my SD card to restore after the reset which helped speed up the process of setting the phone back up to my liking. It's a little bit of a pain, but the outcome is well worth the work. 
4 Replies
Wolfenfurk
Galaxy
Options
Discussions
You backed up prior to the reset, correct?
That means all the issues, data wise, is still connected to your device. When you do a backup of an operating system that you're having problems with, when you restore all that data back on a reset device, you're almost basically putting the problem right back where it started.
Now I only say this because I used to root nexus phones, get superuser permissions and change operating systems sometimes daily, cleaning the data out, wiping the cache, reinstalling brand new app package bundles, it's some work.
The point is, a clean install is what it is.
To really know what the OS is doing.
KevHar5
Halo
Options
Discussions
I didn't think Smartswitch backed up the operating system, but only your files and settings if you choose. This should allow for a clean install. It doesn't put the apps back to their existing state but remembers which ones you have downloaded and installs them from the store. When you open an app, you have to log back in and adjust the app settings again. That's part of the work I referred to. I do remember some of the backups of before that were more of a mirror copy of the device, and Smartswitch doesn't seem to work like that based on my experience and has worked great for me and resolved the issues I had prior so something is working right. Maybe a beta moderator can help shed some additional light on this for the community. Thanks .
0 Likes
DrFed
Comet
Options
Discussions
Smart Switch reinstalls app data, and allegedly this could be a problem (Android 10 app data not "running" properly on Android 11 app). I do think that this can make a difference, because I've had issues before with Smart Switch, which I believe will batch restore most data. As an alternative, you can be selective about what you restore, thus minimizing this potential issue. Take this with a grain of salt. It would be nice to get the opinion of a dev or someone that writes code.
USBetaModerator
Beta Moderator
Options
Discussions

Hello,

We would generally recommend the factory reset as a last resort, as it would delete all the stored data in the phone. Thank you for sharing your experience with us in the beta program.

Regards

One UI Beta Team

0 Likes