Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Galaxy watch 5 tattoo arm

(Topic created: 10-02-2022 12:57 PM)
Voodu
Asteroid
Options
Discussions
Galaxy watch 5 pro doesnt read my tattooed wrists also doesnt give notifications. Works when I switch to non tattooed wrist. Fix coming? 
10 Replies
Av3rag3Jo3
Halo
Options
Discussions
Wow that is crazy samsung please fix this. Why would the sensors depend on skin reflectivity (tone)?
0 Likes
Pablomx2
Galaxy
Options
Discussions
Because that's how light works, black absorbs all the light. And heartbeat sensor needs the bouncing back light to measure the rate as well as O2 sensor and stress
Av3rag3Jo3
Halo
Options
Discussions
I understand how light works. I am saying the sensors used shouldn't depend on light reflectivity to this degree. The edge case would be zero reflectivity from carbon nanotubes, and that is far from the reflectivity of skin tones and tattoos. Users with tattoos or very dark skin should be able to rely on any measurements made by the watch.
0 Likes
Pablomx2
Galaxy
Options
Discussions
They don't make in house sensors... They use third party ones I believe
0 Likes
Voodu
Asteroid
Options
Discussions

Yeah it just sucks that in order to get these new features they used new sensors that now no longer work on tatted arms. My watch 3 and previous models had no issues with tattoo ink.

0 Likes
ChaosSaber
Neutron Star
Options
Discussions
Tattoos have been around for years, way longer then these sensors so they should have had loads of time to figure this out
0 Likes
ChaosSaber
Neutron Star
Options
Discussions
Don't expect a fix anytime soon or if any at all
PeninaD
Comet
Options
Discussions
Even medical grade pulse oximeters have issues with dark skin.
KSal
Comet
Options
Discussions
This is why I'm back to my watch 3. They have no interest in a fix or even adding the settings to show notifications all the time
0 Likes