Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Skipping/jumping animations or not

(Topic created: 09-27-2022 03:24 AM)
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Discussions
I've tried to reproduce the skipping/jumping animations but I could not find any dramatic jumping animations like Ice Universe has shown. I tested on both 60Hz(standard) and 120Hz(adaptive) display. 

I recorded a video at 120fps and slowed it down by 1/16x to create this gif. Maybe, a small jump at the very beginning on120Hz display but nothing too dramatic.
Left:60Hz; Right:120Hz. Gif is 15fps

Now, I recorded a video at 240fps and slowed it down by 1/16x. On both display settings, there seems to be no major skipping/jumping frames of animations.
Left:60Hz; Right:120Hz. Gif is 15fps

Now, this is how it looks like in real time recorded at 120fps. It seems very smooth on both. Keep it up Samsung!
Left:60Hz; Right:120Hz. Gif is 30fps

I guess jumping/skipping animations could be app-dependent. Personally, I don't see as much lag when opening or closing apps as I do when using widgets. I think Samsung should slow down the animation frame rate a little at the very beginning when closing apps on 120Hz display (240fps video could capture the transitions but didn't on 120fps video).

Edit:
I've tried swiping really fast as suggested in the comment, and the jumping animations are present. Again, I recorded a video at 240fps and slowed it down 1/16x on 120Hz display.
Left: my normal swiping speedRight: very fast swiping speed (for me)

However, the swiping speed on the right is probably 3x faster than what I usually swipe, and I rarely swipe that fast. Below is what it looks like without slowing it down.
Left: my normal swiping speed
Right: very fast swiping speed (for me)

It also seems like the animation speeds are proportional to swiping speed, which is interesting.
11 Replies
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Discussions
https://youtu.be/SehhpdO-H1s I uploaded a video that shows my S22U does not frame jump the way ice universe showed, although youtube seems to have slaughtered the actual video quality
KBWolf
Comet
Options
Discussions
I think what people are up in arms about is that initial jump as the phone catches up with the touch input. Rather than making a smooth transition to the point Samsung decided to just cut out those frames, probably to make the animation seem faster.
That being said, in normal use, it really doesn't feel that bad, but it would probably feel a bit more fluid if they had a transition rather than a snap to that point.
USBetaModerator2
Beta Moderator
Options
Discussions

Hello,
Thank you for your Feedback. We appreciate your contribution to the Beta community.

Regards,
One UI Beta Team

bqooo
Comet
Options
Discussions
it's about time, Samsung.SmartSelect_20220928_020931_Video Player.gif
0 Likes
JumpingHoses
Comet
Options
Discussions
Interesting how the people complaining about the frame skips are completely absent from this thread.
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Discussions
I just updated my post to include results when I swiped really fast, and the skipped frames are there.

Probably, people who swipe that fast notice the problem and complain about it. I just want to figure out the reason why the issue/problem occurs, and this will actually help the dev team.
0 Likes
bqooo
Comet
Options
Discussions
I really appreciate your effort.. but yeah, there are skipped frames. I can't really tell from that gif. but I have noticed the way you swipe is slow. which doesn't really show when swiping slowly. but when you swipe/faster(normally), you definitely gonna see it skipping a couple of frames.
bqooo
Comet
Options
Discussions
💤SmartSelect_20220928_020931_Video Player.gif
0 Likes
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Discussions
I updated my post to include this fast swiping, and I did see the skipping animations. It's really not my normal swiping speed as you may notice that it's kinda uncomfortable when I tried to swipe really fast.

I don't deny the issue, and I think Samsung should reconsider the way they deal with the animations/transitions when the system receive a really fast input (touch screen).
0 Likes