Original topic:

No slide gesture on wake button???

(Topic created: a week ago)
Shokalok
Constellation
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
I just "upgraded" from a Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 to the 6 and it seems like one of TJE BEST and MOST USEFUL features is now gone! I was so used to sliding down on the right side of the phone to bring up the settings menu that normally is only available by dragging from the very top of the screen. The reason I liked this feature was so I could bring down the menu with one hand instead of having reach ALL THE WAY UP to the top to do the same thing!
Also, it allowed a way for you to access this menu while you were inside other apps, and not just on the Home screen. (I know there's an option to swipe down from anywhere on the Home screen only, but looking for the convenience of using the side swipe I used to. It's weird that the newer version of a phone takes out useful features, I don't get it.
Also, my last Z Flip 4 had an issue where the top of the screen wasn't working anymore and the ONLY way I could bring down that top menu was by sliding my finger down the right side of the phone. It was a real savior for me because it allowed me an alternate way to access that menu easily. Also, I find myself sliding down to check notifications and access menus while in other apps. I don't want to have to go to the Home screen first, or go ALL THE WAY UP (the flip phones are REALLY tall when unfolded) to access this menu.
I really don't understand why they would take this feature out. It makes no sense to me.
The reason I have an Android and not an iPhone is for the CUSTOMIZATION available to me, and to take a feature like this out just makes me really upset. I don't know if I would have upgraded if I knew they took this feature out.
Please send an update to put it back.
It's really useful.

Thanks.
4 Replies
ZmaZes
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
I have a ZFlip 5 and this sounds like a really nice feature! I looked around and it seems like the reason this was removed is because the newer phones use a different part that isn't able to detect anything beyond the pattern of your fingerprint. Of course I could be wrong but since some apps I've tested can't detect swipe direction either (tried it with Macro Droid) so I assume it's a hardware issue or some really lazy update people. It's a shame that they would downgrade the hardware on these newer models and I hope in the future they add it back, although it doesn't look super promising. I do know that it's possible for them to add another gesture though, for example they could detect if you lightly tap on the fingerprint sensor a few times (instead of actually pressing the button in) or they could have different actions depending on which finger you use. I do hope they come back with something though because as it is the power button could be more useful.
ZmaZes
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
If you really miss this I do have a workaround that would let you open/close the notification panel by holding the power button down (if you use Bixby this way it would replace it, and if you don't, you can still access the power menu to restart your device by holding down power + volume down at the same time).
It would utilize a routine in the routines app and would use Macro Droid, which can be used free indefinitely but you have to watch ads to extend the free trial. I would recommend buying the full version but I know that's not for everyone. If you're interested I can send some instructions but only if you actually want to.
Shokalok
Constellation
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
I use the holding down power to bring up the power off menu and I use the volume down plus power to take a screenshot. but thanks for the advice!
0 Likes
ZmaZes
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Apology for not clarifying, but the power + volume down for power menu requires you to hold down this combination, so you can still take a screenshot like normal. You can even try the power + vol. down shortcut without changing anything just to see that it works.
0 Likes