Original topic:

Galaxy Buds2 audio quality goes bad when Wifi is turned on with Scalable Codec (Note 9)

(Topic created: 10-10-2021 09:02 PM)
FYLegend21
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Buds

When I have WiFi enabled on my phone (Galaxy Note 9), I experience intermittent distortion on the Galaxy Buds2. It sounds like the bitrate drops and the treble starts to double up/stutter. This issue only occurs with the Scalable Codec, yet I have not had such a problem with my Galaxy Buds+ (except when gaming mode was turned on). The audio sounds fine when I'm using AAC on my phone, but I have to enable it in developer options every time I connect to my phone.

Perhaps the Note 9's Bluetooth modem is not well-optimized for the newer Buds2, but it's disappointing to see this issue between Samsung devices.

Before you ask, I've already tried factory-resetting the buds, clearing my Bluetooth cache and wiping my phone's cache partition. I find the best solution is to turn off WiFi which minimizes the issue, but it defeats the purpose of using them for streaming or watching videos.

0 Likes
1 Reply
FYLegend21
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Buds

After some further testing it seems my Buds+ is also exhibiting the same behaviour regardless of whether game mode is turned on or off. I never noticed this before so it is possible a recent software update or something else has triggered the probblem.  It seems to me that the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi module of the Note 9 is unable to handle high bitrates of Samsung Scalable while using Wifi.

0 Likes