cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Sumsung ruined ambient sound mode on latest Buds+ update

The ambient sound mode on the Buds+ is one of its most useful features, because it enables users to be aware of surroundings while listening to music.

However, this feature is now completely ruined after the last update, and I know it's not my buds, because I'm not the only one.

It seems that they have some new algorithm to 'fade out' the volume when it detects sharp increases in environmental sound - this is their way of dealing with wind noise.

However, this is a <edit> disaster and in my opinion makes this feature unusable for me because the constant fading in and out of ambient sound volume makes it extremely difficult for me to be aware of my surroundings! This is completely boneheaded, stupid update that completely breaks one of this product's major selling features. I am not impressed, and considering getting a refund so I can buy another brand.

The kneejerk reaction that Samsung reps in here have of telling us to get replacements shows just how little they know about their own products, and don't actually care about solving any problems.

SAMSUNG: <edit>. RESTORE THIS FEATURE TO HOW IT WAS BEFORE, AND STOP THE AMBIENT SOUND MODE FROM FADING DOWN THE VOLUME. WE CANNOT KEEP TRACK OF OUR SURROUNDINGS IF THE BUDS ARE CONSTANTLY CHANGING THE VOLUME.

Please comment below to share your experiences and let Samsung know this this change was a huge mistake!

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Sumsung ruined ambient sound mode on latest Buds+ update

Agreed. Before the update it was already mediocre because the ambient sound feed decreases to your surroundings - for playing piano it becomes too quiet after a few minutes unless I use extra high. The update just makes my piano sound distorted, and when I turn on a water tap or listening to music out of another speaker the ambient sound feed pans left and right.

Highlighted
Constellation

In the last two Buds Plus updates, wind suppression has been added as a feature but instead of this being optional, Samsung have arbitrarily and relentlessly decided to unneccesarily enforce this function rather than give the option for the customer to enable or disable it based on their preferences.

There have been numerous complaints about this from various people. Those working in fast food near fryers, drivers, people in slightly noisy environments where machinery is causing the background noise and many other instances where the noise is actually wanted an not wind at all.

The effect this has on ambient sound is devastating and poses serious risks to the customer by permanently altering perception or lack thereof, of ambient sound.

The volume oscillating is caused by a reactive noise suppression (a selective noise gate using a certain threshold) that has been implemented in the last two iterations of the Buds Plus firmware updates. It's disorientating and dangerous. Ambient sound should not be altered unless the user has opted to do this and is fully aware of the severe degradation of the ambient sound as a result.

Samsung need to listen to their customers and offer an immediate reversion and permanent option in the Gear app to disable (and enable at will) this noise suppression. I require this to be fixed as I always use ambient sound. Driving, operating loud fans, friers, machenery or trying to listen for others doing so becomes extremely distracting with the constant pumping in and out of all external sound sources. The noise suppression is over zealous at best as it removes clarity from any ambient sounds and at worst is worthless as ambient sounds become inaudible, adding risk and danger into the equation.

Wind suppression should be optional, not enforced. This is ridiculous.

Give us back what we paid for and at least give us the option to completely disable wind suppression so that we are not artificially limited and so that features we purchased are not removed needlesly.

Granted, add features with updates,  but don't do this at the detriment of original, working and useful functions and certainly don't take away what we purchased and were happy with!

Highlighted
Asteroid

Well said, Black_Beard!

The danger element is a significant consideration in the suppression of ambient noise in their recent updates. 
I frequently go running/jogging in urban areas with medium traffic. Recently, there was an incident where I was crossing a moderately busy intersection and a reckless driver ran a red light with his loud car. 
Because of the new algorithms actively reducing the volume level, I perceived the car to be further away than it was, and I didn't react as quick as I would have otherwise, so I only reacted at the very last second. I was literally inches away from being hit. This update could have very well been the cause of me receiving injuries, or even death.

Samsung should not take this lightly, as it's only a matter of time before someone less fortunate is the victim of a fatal accident because of the unnecessary reduction in environmental awareness that they've intentionally implemented into their product.

If Samsung wants to avoid a potential lawsuit in the future from such an incident, they need to restore ambient sound to the functionality it previously had, IMMEDIATELY. Posts like ours on their official forums serve as sufficient warning for them to act upon this. They have zero excuses to not act.

Highlighted
Constellation

I agree this feature is a disaster

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Just got another update today that was supposed to improve ambient sound quality. Unfortunately, it does not fix the panning volume issue. What a joke.  Not everyone is using these in windy conditions. I can't see why "wind noise reduction" can't be made an optional feature. 

Personally I'd rather have a straightforward mic feed, with no oscillations in volume, even if that means there's wind noise coming in.