cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

helmet issue

Hey there,

I'm currently experiencing some issue with my Galaxy Buds when worn under a motorcycle helmet and wanted to share this with the community – just to see if someone is experiencing the same issue/problem and if someone may even have some piece of useful advice.

Lately, I used my Buds under the helmet to get spoken directions on a motorcycle tour. Problem is that one of the buds kept disconnecting and reconnecting during the whole ride. I could get the directions; but most of the time only in one ear and the permanent deconnection/reconnection sound was kind of annyoing resp. distracting. 

At first, I thought this was some hardware issue and spontanuously bought a new pair of Galaxy Buds. But with those Buds, I experienced exactly the same issue/problems. Thankfully, I could return the new Buds and get a refund, but the connection/disconnection problem remains.

So here is some additional info about my "setup": Both pair of Galaxy Buds (old ones I already own and new ones I bought and returned) were 1st gen Buds (not Buds+), the Buds were used on my Galaxy Note 8 (running Android 9 ver. N950FXXSBDTED), I had updated the Buds firmware to the newest version and I was using Google Maps to get the directions. I already tried resetting the Buds and clearing the Bluetooth cache like recommended in some other discussion, but this didn't help either. 

So I'm left rather clueless about what to do next. I will try installing a different navigation app – just to rule out Google Maps for being the culprit and will post the results here, but expect from that, I don't really know what else I could do. I certainly won't factory reset my phone, so if someones got the same issue and/or knows a more practicable solution – I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,

M.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: helmet issue

Thanks for reaching out. My guess would be the pressure from the helmet on that one side interferes with the fit of the earbud. I would try adjusting the earbud with the helmet on and maybe try a different size eartip on that side while riding.

Galaxy Buds emits a call sound when not worn

Adjust your Galaxy Buds for the best fit

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: helmet issue

@SamsungRei wrote:

Thanks for reaching out. My guess would be the pressure from the helmet on that one side interferes with the fit of the earbud. I would try adjusting the earbud with the helmet on and maybe try a different size eartip on that side while riding.

Thanks for the prompt feedback. I posted the same query on Samsungs German/European discussion board and got a reply which also makes sense resp. which gives a plausible explanation too. I was told that a motorcycle helmet is designed to reduce vibrations as well as noise and therefore acts as some pretty good insulator – which unfortunately also blocks out radio signals like a bluetooth connection e.g..

The reason why only one bud did lose connection was explained by the fact that one buds' bluetooth emitter is by design stronger than the other one – as this bud not only has to keep itself connected to the smartphone, but to the other bud too. So the bud with the stronger BT-emitter was strong enough to remain connected despite the helmets insulation, while the other bud was too weak to get through the helmet.

This makes sense to me and I justed wanted to share that explanation with the rest of the community here as there may be someone having the same troubles at some point of time. But thanks anyway for the assistance.

Regards,

M.