JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Buying the Z FOLD 4

(Topic created: 08-16-2022 05:49 PM)
Eshaan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Fold
Hey guys, wondering if I should just buy the Fold 3 right now, or just waiting for a sale for the Fold 4. Maybe getting a used one on ebay. I don't think the trade in sale for the fold 4 is that great. I currently use the Fold 2 and a 1000 trade in credit is nice, but you still have that 800 dollars left. You guys decide.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ZeusDMAG
Comet
Options
Galaxy Fold
I purchased precisely because of "experience" that specs aren't everything. A specification is just that, and honestly, a lot of the time just given to make the product look "good on paper". Especially with these devices(really any device today) being driven extremely heavily by software(coding, etc), a spec really is nothing, and means not a pile of boogers if there's no coding.

Thinking on specs is a very naive way of evaluating anything. And yes, notes had pretty good specs, but what drove the note series was the software that allowed it to work its magic. It is what allowed pen usage, and every other ability within the silicone.

The fold is the same. Heck man, without software, any device, whether phone, car, computer, GPS, anything, is just a pile of pieces..

View solution in context

12 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Fold

@Eshaan The $1000 trade in is well above the current market value of the Fold 2. If you wait, you know that Samsung will probably decrease the amount given for trade in. Also the market value of the Fold 2 will drop. You will probably have to wait for nearly a year before the used market value of the Fold 4 drops below $800. 

The current deal on the Fold 4 is a great one AND you get to start using the phone now instead of in a year. You also get a free case and $300 in Samsung credit.

The current market value on the Fold 3 is around $750 so not much of a difference. 

I currently have a Fold 3 (which I love) and decided to snap up the deal on the Fold 4. I actually traded in my Note 20 Ultra for a $900 credit. The battery power savings of the new processor, the new thermal dissipation, and bigger camera make it a great deal for me. 

My recommendation would be to go with the Fold 4 not a Fold 3 at this time. 

StayPhresh
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Fold
I agree.
0 Likes
Eshaan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Fold
That is great advice, thanks for the feedback 😀
betancd
Comet
Options
Galaxy Fold
I had a similar consideration with my S22 Ultra. Selling one on swappa for 512 GB model is worth any $800 so the $1000 trade in value was very tempting. I had the same concern with the $900 or so remaining payment. I upgraded to GW5 LTE and got an extra case in different style. Price was about $1200 but coupon took it down to $1020 after tax
0 Likes
cheryls
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Fold
I think if the fold 4 has issues fixed and upgrades . I would wait if you can. I wasn't able to wait as my phone stopped working. I would have gotten the z flip 4. I think the fold 4 probably works better then the flips though I can't be sure. I do still love my z flip 3
0 Likes
Eshaan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Fold
Yeah that sounds like a good idea as well. Thanks 😊
0 Likes
02XII
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Fold
Why would you get it or why not?  I'll start, I wouldn't get it because I'm big on specs. I wouldn't sacrifice specs for a bigger screen. Note always have the best specs.
0 Likes
Ariscott56
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Fold
So you wouldn't even take it if it had better efficiency and optimization? Despite having a smaller battery and lasting longer? You must truly underestimate TSMC fabrication. The only thing you're sacrificing is durability and camera quality
Solution
ZeusDMAG
Comet
Options
Galaxy Fold
I purchased precisely because of "experience" that specs aren't everything. A specification is just that, and honestly, a lot of the time just given to make the product look "good on paper". Especially with these devices(really any device today) being driven extremely heavily by software(coding, etc), a spec really is nothing, and means not a pile of boogers if there's no coding.

Thinking on specs is a very naive way of evaluating anything. And yes, notes had pretty good specs, but what drove the note series was the software that allowed it to work its magic. It is what allowed pen usage, and every other ability within the silicone.

The fold is the same. Heck man, without software, any device, whether phone, car, computer, GPS, anything, is just a pile of pieces..