JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Developer Options not available in Maintenance Mode?

(Topic created: 01-16-2023 06:51 AM)
mythdude
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

I dropped off my phone for a screen repair and enabled the new maintenance mode before I left it. The techs contacted me saying that they aren't able to start any repairs at all as they're not able to access the developer options and still said they need my PIN in order to start and finish the repairs. This has me very frustrated, what's the point of the mode if they're going to immediately need it disabled? And is that even a thing, do they have to have developer options enabled? I dropped it off at an Asurion site, so it's Samsung approved and everything...

8 Replies
Yamialex224
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Fold
Developer options sometimes mess with troubleshooting and repairs so I think it should be disabled before you take it to repair. Also maintenance mode is for repairs so personal data is safe. But usually people wipe the phone before it's sent for repairs
0 Likes
mythdude
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

Right, it was just a screen swap at a local store, didn't think I would need to wipe the phone first, plus that's what Maintenance Mode is for. The tech is claiming they needed to enable the Developer Options in order to run their tests, which MM prevented them from doing... I'm failing to see it's purpose if it's there to "protect our personal data", but almost any repair an "authorized" repair shop will need to do requires disabling this safety feature...

Ray_Ginald
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Fold
Advice is to go back there if you can and sign out of your accounts on your phone, disable whatever screen-lock passcode you have on and then leave the Maintenance Mode enabled. That way they have access to do whatever they need to and your data is still protected via Maintenance Mode. It's not just you, I once went to repair my screen through UBreakiFix and they called me later on requesting for my PIN which I gave them, sadly Maintenance Mode wasn't available at that time nor did I sign out of my phone. It's a pretty unsettling feeling giving them your PIN and access to your Phone but it has to be done for repairs to begin, even Samsung knows this that's why they gave us Maintenance Mode. Only wish they'd thought of this earlier on.
mythdude
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

That's a fine option, but that's also the point of Maintenance Mode. It create a secondary temporary account so none other action is needed, but it prevents access to Developer Options. So it seems like a solution... but it doesn't really solve anything. Just delay my repair and the techs still need the PIN. 

Hindsight now though, for sure I'd just go through and log out of everything before turning over. Not ideal... but better than nothing.

userCDSLXSmxuM
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold
Ugh, that's sad to hear. Maintenance mode sounded nice, but if it's half baked then it's just "Solution Theater" where they get the credit from the headlines and all the limitations never get the same publicity. Maybe by ONEUI 9 they'll have an actual solution.
Solution
Themeparkpro
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Fold
Presumably, they need developer options to enable USB debugging. However, when in maintenance mode and you connect the device to a PC, you’ll get a special pop-up option to enable data, and developer mode isn’t needed. I just tested it, and it works fine. So unless they need another developer option enabled (I’d be rather skeptical), there should be no problem. BTW, if they don't see the pop-up, pull down the notifications, and you'll see a USB for File Transfer option. Select it and they can choose what they need such as transferring files (data) and USB controlled by connected device.
mythdude
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

That's really good to know, thank you for testing this! Hopefully I won't have to go through this again but hopefully others who experience this pushback from repair shops we can tell them no, or the techs themselves will see this and realize they won't need it. 

0 Likes
userbi9HFpSkRZ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Fold

I just went through this as well. Pretty upset they wouldn't accept Maintenance Mode. The problem in my opinion is that if you send in to Samsung, they now request you use Maintenance Mode first. So why, as certified Samsung Repair Centers, are they not able to run the necessary diagnostics in the same manner as Samsung? 

0 Likes