Original topic:

How can I copy app data from Note 8 to Z Fold4 without changing the dates of the files being copied?

(Topic created: 10-06-2022 01:36 PM)
SargeOfNY
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

I got a Z Fold 4. I used a combination of Samsung Cloud and Smart Switch (which IMHO is not smart enough to know to not redate files being transferred). So, for one app I rely on to provide evidence that a document was signed on a given date, Tiny Scanner Pro, by my scanning the signed document, I found the folder with the scans by attaching the device to my PC's USB: 

...\My Z Fold4\Internal storage\Android\data\com.appxy.tinyscan\files\MyTinyScan\Documents

and because I was able to use SafeCopyFree! v2.6, I have a folder on my PC (from my old Note 8 containing the entire directory. Now I would like to use SafeCopyFree! v2.6 to copy those folders into My Z Fold4' directory, but SafeCopyFree does not display the Z Fold4 as a destination; only shows it as a potential source.

Since Smart Switch is able to move data from one device to another, I am almost certain that there is a way to tell the Z Fold4 to allow it to receive data. With Samsung Tech Support we tried Developer mode, and whatever we tried did not work. The phone would only be seen as a source, not as a destination.
How can I enable my Z Fold4 to receive the data I now have on my PC with the dates unchanged?

Does anyone know someone who has worked on Smart Switch development? There has to be a way.

0 Likes
10 Replies
BCClemons649
Nebula
Options
Galaxy Fold
Samsung smart switch
0 Likes
SargeOfNY
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

Smart Switch redates all the files, which for my business can be catastrophic. Have you figured out how to have Smart Switch not redate files?

0 Likes
BCClemons649
Nebula
Options
Galaxy Fold
Unfortunately not. I believe that is the only way to officially move files.
0 Likes
SargeOfNY
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

I brought this to Samsung's attention in 2016 when I migrated from Note 3 to Note 8, and realized the files were redated. Subsequently I had to put my Note 3 in a safe for five years because it contained data critical to defend my business from law suits. Here we are six years later and the issue was never addressed. SMH.

0 Likes
BCClemons649
Nebula
Options
Galaxy Fold
Have you considered Google photos to back them all up? They should stay dated and you can just link your Google account to access them on both devices.
SargeOfNY
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

So, in theory, this can work. I give you credit for what can be a solution. Thank you!!

I tried copying one of the PDFs and one JPG, and the dates remain unchanged.

The issue is that the app, TinyScanner Pro, stores the PDF and JPG(s) in a File Folder (one JPG per page and one PDF for the entire document), and I have almost 700 folders that have to be saved. Google Photos says the folders cannot be abcked up, but their contents can. So, Google Photos only recognizes the contents of each folder. 

It will take me days to get this done, but knowing that this works this will allow me to pay someone to manually do this, or pay someone to write a script that I would run to copy the folder contents to Google Photos, where I can save them for five to seven years.

0 Likes
BCClemons649
Nebula
Options
Galaxy Fold
Happy to help!
There are also alternatives like one drive from Microsoft and Google drive. I use Google Drive for my pdfs and Google photos for my photos.
0 Likes
SargeOfNY
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

When copying to Google Drive and to OneDrive, the files get redatred, unless one uses SafeCopyFree! v2.6 to copy there. Then, the issue is that I really want all this data on my new device, and there is no way to copy into the correct directory of the new device - unless you know of a way?

0 Likes
BCClemons649
Nebula
Options
Galaxy Fold
I didn't know if they would relate or not just figured I would suggest some alternatives. Good luck!