JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Is my Fold2 5G CDMA?

(Topic created: 07-30-2021 02:58 AM)
MoniBinis
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Fold

I don't really understand CDMA, but I know I have Verizon as a carrier.

I bought my unlocked Fold2 5G from Best Buy, but does that mean I could use it in another country that has GSM networks?

Or are GSM and CDMA not used anymore?

7 Replies
Ariscott56
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Fold
Verizon is a CDMA type of network. This means it won't connect to cell towers that T-Mobile use because it's GSM. Sprint and Verizon are both known as CDMA networks, so their use of cell towers work well and are parallel because of the frequencies. T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM type of networks, so the same will go for them like Sprint and Verizon do. They're just different network types
0 Likes
ChMaVa1882
Star
Options
Galaxy Fold
Verizon uses CDMA. If its unlocked, it can be used on any network. But I have read that by the end of December 2022, Verizon is shutting down it's CDMA and only gonna be GSM. Hope that helps.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Fold
No it doesn't it only uses cdma
0 Likes
goochbuntu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Fold
Verizon uses CDMA , LTE and nr . LTE is basically a GSM technology. But none of this matters because the phone is the unlocked version for all carriers and the sim tells the phone what radios and technology to use to work on the sims carrier
0 Likes
ChMaVa1882
Star
Options
Galaxy Fold
"CDMA Network Retirement | Verizon" https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/
0 Likes
Solution
Kuzuba
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Fold
The unlocked variants from retailers such as best buy support both GSM and CDMA frequencies and are compatible with most providers in their regions.
goochbuntu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Fold
In my case I have a note 20 ultra it has all the bands for all the carriers since it's the unlocked model. It has both CDMA and GSM and LTE and nr abilities. When you put the Verizon sim in the phone will automatically enable the bands needed for Verizon. And disable bands not in use. A good way is to check this use the Samsung band selection tool off the playstore and borrow a TMobile sim from a friend you will see the phone switch off and on the radios the sim requires automatically. This is why the unlocked versions are good to own. You don't have to worry about knowing gsm or CDMA it doesn't matter as a end user with your phone. If you have a problem you may need to call Verizon to whitelist your phone to work properly.
0 Likes