JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Z Fold 3 - causes horrible eye strain due to low Pulse-Width Modulation (PWM) flickering

(Topic created: 01-24-2022 04:46 PM)
StormTrooper777
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

Samsung Z Fold 3 - causes horrible eye strain due to low Pulse-Width Modulation (PWM).

I know several new Z Fold 3 users including myself started experiencing eye strain after using the device.  None of us ever experienced this before from other devices we had in the past. I had all the Galaxy Note series all the way to Note 10 plus. 

After going thru and testing, the eye strain was determined and caused by the Z Fold 3.  This was confirmed by myself and several other users.

Typically PWM kicks in around 20-30% of low brightness and does not kick in at all at 100% brightness, However the Z Fold 3 flickers or still employs PWM even at this level.

Question to you Samsung engineers or product managers;  are you aware of this?  are you going to fix this via firmware update? what can I do to remediate this? are you planning on improving this implementation in the future Z fold display?

I love the Z fold 3! it is the best device around, but this is a show stopper, please help!

5 Replies
user2l02WSXeQX
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Fold

I can confirm this. For some reason I could not comment this earlier, so I created a new thread here: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Fold/Fold-3-inner-display-causing-eye-pain-and-headache/m...

0 Likes
user2l02WSXeQX
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Fold

I saw that this issue already has been reported, but Samsung did not reply nor am I allowed to answer the previously opened threads (may got closed by Samsung) – so I open a new one!

I used Samsung Galaxy and Note devices for years now and never had any problems. My last phone was the Samsung Note 10 +, well "was" is not correct, actually I switchted back to it.

I own a Fold 3 now for 2 days and whenever I use the inner screen (no matter what settings) I get eye pain within 15 to 30 minutes and also headache. Both getting worse they longer I use the phone. (My eyes are absolutly healthy and I see very sharp, so no, is not on my side).

I googled it and saw many posts (like on Redit) about other people having the same issues. Most people refer to poor PWM as cause of this issue.

However: I would like to know if there is a fix for that to reduce this problem or will Samsung deliver some update/fix in the future?

Otherwise I have to return that phone if possible because right now is unuseable for me!

And that at the given price point is not acceptable, sorry Samsung!

Solution
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Fold

Hello. I can definitely see how this would be concerning!  I hope you are okay, and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this is caused you!  We do have a specialized team that would be happy to help you with this situation. I would encourage you to reach out to this team directly to get this matter resolved.

Please be aware, this team will be asking for specific information, such as your name, street address, email, place of purchase, bill of sale (to validate warranty status), and will request any documentation related to this incident. The additional documentation could include photos of an injury/damage, receipts or estimates of repairs, and/or medical documentation, etc.

The quickest way to reach this specialized team is by calling 1-800-726-7864. 

Alternatively, you can reach out to our Facebook or Twitter Support teams to set up a call back. 

If you don’t wish to call, I would recommend speaking with our Live Chat team

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userFfBkbJGEmZ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Fold

I have the same problem with my S20. My eyelids burn, my eyes feel strain and my vision seems affected, and I get headaches. Its to the point that I have to limit my time looking at it.

0 Likes
StormTrooper777
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold
Are you experiencing that with the Fold 3?