JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Why is my PIN required by UbreakitUfix it to change screen protector?

(Topic created: 02-01-2023 12:38 PM)
martyng
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Fold

The factory screen protector has started peeling at the fold on my zflip3. I've had it since August 21 so its around 16 months in.

I took it to Ubreakitufixit in Wilmington NC where I live as advised by the Samsung website.

The technician said that I'd need to leave the phone with them for 3 hours AND he'd need my PIN as he needed to access the phone for diagnostics?

Firstly, I don't see why this is required just to change a plastic peel off layer on the phone? But also - this is a massive security issue. Once pinned into my phone he'd have access to my email accounts as well as 2 factor authentication for various banking and other financial services I use, not to mention remote access to work IT systems I maintain.

Do people normally willingly hand over this type of access to repair technicians? Isn't there a service mode on the phone that can be used to access diagnostics without giving full access?

In the end I declined to have the screen protector changed as I just can't take those security risks. I guess I'll have to youtube how to do it myself.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Fold

Hello, We certainly understand your concern for privacy during the service process. We have an article that details the steps to take before having your phone repaired. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00086466/

We apologize, there is a fault in the link for mail-in service. However, the steps for walk-in service are the same.

There is also a section for information on Maintenance Mode for phones that have updated to One UI 5.0

View solution in context

6 Replies
DAN003
Comet
Options
Galaxy Fold
My s21 has privacy setting for repairs
DAN003
Comet
Options
Galaxy Fold
It was in the one ui 5 android 13 update Screenshot_20230201_160154_Android System.jpgScreenshot_20230201_160150_Android System.jpg
martyng
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Fold

I was assuming there was something like this. It seemed ridiculous that the guy in the store needed my pin without any security like this. When I asked him if there was some kind of service mode like this he looked at me like I was crazy. EDIT: I checked the Samsung site and it appears this is only on 1UI5, which is compatible with galaxy s21 s22 but not zflip3 at present from what I can see.

0 Likes
DAN003
Comet
Options
Galaxy Fold
Check your settings and checkif you have this feature
0 Likes
DAN003
Comet
Options
Galaxy Fold
My samsung z flip 3 was repaired at a samsung experience store and it was amazing 👏 🙌
0 Likes
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Fold

Hello, We certainly understand your concern for privacy during the service process. We have an article that details the steps to take before having your phone repaired. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00086466/

We apologize, there is a fault in the link for mail-in service. However, the steps for walk-in service are the same.

There is also a section for information on Maintenance Mode for phones that have updated to One UI 5.0