Original topic:

ZFold4 hotspot not working

(Topic created: 01-28-2023 04:22 PM)
userXLxK2VMita
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

I use PureTalk as a carrier.

I had a S20+ and the mobile hotspot worked fine. I upgraded to ZFold 4, and now the mobile hotspot doesn't work.

Typical recommendations to reset network settings, give new IMEI number to the carrier, etc. hasn't helped.

I've double, triple, quadruple checked my APN settings as directed here (https://www.puretalk.com/phone_programming). Everything seems right. They don't have any guidance on what to set the "Mobile virtual network operator type" (and "value") to, though.

Talked to the useless tech support people many times and am just told "We don't gaurantee mobile hotspots to work with Andoird".

Does the ZFold4 hotspot just not work with PureTalk? Or is there some magic I can do? I really don't want to switch carriers, but I will if I have to...

JUMP TO SOLUTION
19 Replies
Yamialex224
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Fold
Cricket is like 50 a month has Hotspot
Metro by t mobile is like 50-60 and has it
0 Likes
liquid_ghost
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold
When you first inserted the sim into the phone, were the data configuration messages sent to you via sms/mms?
0 Likes
userXLxK2VMita
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold
Now that you mention it... I don't recall. Is there a way to reinitialize that?
0 Likes
liquid_ghost
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold
I'm not sure but if you have a different sim from another carrier you can place that one in the phone then the phone will tell you to restart it for a carrier reset. Allow it to do so then switch back to the sim you're currently using. It should automatically send them again. If not, try checking if they were already sent before by going to settings -> connections -> mobile networks -> access point names -> press the 3 dots and choose "configuration messages" -> if there are any, select them then press install for each oneScreenshot_20230128_222427_Settings_1000001496_1674966268.jpgScreenshot_20230128_222440_Configuration message_1000001497_1674966280.jpg
0 Likes
userXLxK2VMita
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold
Great suggestion! But, I don't seem to have the same option... Screenshot_20230128_204527_Settings.jpg
0 Likes
liquid_ghost
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold
I'm guessing you have tried the other apn that isn't selected? If so, when resetting to default, it will reset and input the proper apn for your carrier. If it isn't already.
0 Likes
userXLxK2VMita
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

Yes. I tried the other APN. I just tried it again, now. Even restarted the phone just in case. When I connect my laptop to it, and try to run a "ping" test, it just says "Request timed out." or "Destination net unreachable".

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.17.64: Destination net unreachable.
Request timed out.

0 Likes
liquid_ghost
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold
Try using a Hotspot app because it seems your carrier or Samsung may have blocked the use of the built in Hotspot feature for the carrier you're using on the fold 4
0 Likes
userXLxK2VMita
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Fold

Do you have a suggestion of a particular app? I've tried a couple... But, they both just seem to activate the built-in hotspot functionality on the phone. Doesn't seem to offer anything in addition to the system functionality.

0 Likes
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Fold

Hello, We understand the importance of being able to use the Mobile Hotspot feature. This link provides the available troubleshooting for the Mobile Hotspot: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001245/

Please note that Mobile Hotspot is a feature provided by the service provider. Many providers do not allow carrier features such as Mobile Hotspot, Wi-Fi calling and RCS services on unlocked phones.

If the troubleshooting is not helpful, we recommend following up with your service provider.

You can also have the phone evaluated at an authorized service center to verify the hardware is working correctly. You can use the following link to find a list of service centers in the U.S. that can do the evaluation: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location or by contacting customer support at 1-800-726-7864.

For assistance outside the U.S., please use this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitlocationsite.html