Galaxy Note 8, glass on back camera, shatters

Asteroid

Galaxy Note 8, glass on back camera, shatters

[ Edited ]

UPDATE 11.10.2017:  I did end up paying for the fix and Samsung was very unorganzied to say the least.  I was not comfortable with the glass and fearful it would break again even if I tapped the phone.  So I purchased a tempered GLASS protection for the entire back of the camera on Amazon.  Its super affordable and it took a bit to get here but it made it. (CHINA of all places)  Thumbs up for this.  Those of you who's glass shattered, I hope to hear if anyone's new phone was covered for this. 

https://www.amazon.com/Unpara-Anti-Scratch-Tempered-Protector-Samsung/dp/B075FPGQCQ

I purchased a brand new Galaxy Note 8 on 9/9/2017 at a Verizon Store in South Portland Maine. The phone was shipped to me via mail and it arrived at my home on Tuesday 09/12/2017. • It’s almost a $1,000 phone and I love the phone so I'M THE ONLY PERSON who touches the phone. Everyone in my home has their own phone! • I DID NOT drop the phone. • I DID NOT push the phone against anything. • I DID NOT put or store the phone in my pocket. • I DID NOT let anyone borrow it OR touch it. Yesterday (09/18/2017) I noticed the glass on the back (the glass that covers the camera) was cracking. Kind of like a dot and cracking OUT around it like a circle crack (left hand side). Today it's not just a crack anymore, it's literally shattering like someone took a sharp object to it and stabbed it. WHILE on the phone with Verizon and Samsung the glass is literally splintering, powdery glass is coming off the glass. Again I’m not doing a thing to the phone just using it to talk to them and it’s on a wireless charger because every time I pick it up the phone and turn it over to talk about what I’m looking at, the glass is literally coming off on my hand or into the phone. I requested that Samsung look at the phone because I’m not going to pay for an insurance claim when I didn’t break the phone. In my opinion the glass is really wide and maybe too thin. Or just a poor piece of glass that was fragile. I have no idea. The resolution is that I’m sending the phone to Samsung for repair and I’m going to purchase a glass protector for the back because I don’t want this to happen again. For the price, I’m not taking any chances. Has anyone else had this problem? Samsung and Verizon said they have had no one else report this kind of problem so that means they believe I may have broken the phone. I told them I’m telling them that there is a problem. You can clearly a problem by how the glass is breaking. It’s super odd. Thumbs up to “CLAY” at Verizon who actually called Samsung and stayed on the call with me until Samsung did the right thing, fix the phone! Anyone else have this issue?

50 REPLIES
Constellation

Re: Galaxy Note 8, glass on back camera, shatters

I just got mine on Sunday and im having the same issue. When I went to the store the guy suggested that I wait to see if its a problem a lot of people are having. If it is help said stores would replace it. The more people that make a claim the better.

Asteroid

The front of my phone mysteriously cracked today. It was not dropped or damaged in any way! I have an otter box and a $30 screen protector from Verizon.  Samsung says too bad and wants $300 to repair!!!

Constellation

The same exact thing happened to me today. I know for a fact that that crack was not there but it looks like a design is cut out in a small portion of my screen. AT&T is no help, best buy said bye bye and Samsung wants me to pay. Only had the phone 13 days. 

Constellation

Thank you for posting this. The EXACT same thing happened to my 8 day old Note 8 today. I was taking pictures. Then all of a sudden, the image was blurry. I turn phone over to find the glass is shattered - just as you described. Looks like a bullet hole. Hoping Costco and/or Samsung will be helpful. 

Constellation

Same happen to mine had it for a week it looks like some one shoot it with a bb there has to be a defect I have the defender otter box .
Constellation

My husband and I just purchased phones on 9/17/2017 at T-mobile and did the buy one get one free promotion. However just 10 days later seen a hole o n the left side of his camera that looks like a bb hole. He did not drop his phone, we both purchased otter boxes and $40.00 screen protectors from T-mobile when we purchased our phone. We went to T-mobile and they told us to contact Samsung after I pulled up this thread and showed them. Samsung wants us to pay for replace/exchange. They don't want to acknowledge that their new note 8 phone have a defect!!! This is so aggravting we just paid $1,000.00 for a phone only 10 days old, no I'm not paying they need to fix this!!!!

Attachments

Constellation

update 9/28/17: went to Costco's wireless kiosk where I purchased the phone. Rep says there is nothing they can do until Samsung officially makes a statement that it is a manufacturer defect. Until then, we are all SOL. Smiley Sad

In order for this to happen, I think all of us need to make an official complaint. I did so from their website, and referenced this community forum. This is the link to the contact form.

https://contactus.samsung.com/customer/contactus/formmail/mail/MailQuestionProduct.jsp?SITE_ID=1

Constellation

Yes I did the same thing, have not heard back from Samsung. I sent it yesterday, says takes 24 hours for reply back, it has been more than 24 hours now.

Constellation

I've not received any response. Not even an automated email acknowledgement. I filled out the form on Thurs & it is now Sat. Pathetic. I also posted on the Samsung Mobile USA facebook page. I think Samsung will continue to ignore for as long as they can.