No video calling option, unlocked Note 8 on Tmobile

SOLVED
Highlighted
Asteroid

No video calling option, unlocked Note 8 on Tmobile

Hi,

I have an unlocked Note 8 that is missing the video call option that has been on the call amd contact screens (Video camera icon) on all my previous  note and galaxy devices.  I see the option to use Duo, but it isn't the same and pretty inconvenient.  Is there a way to enable this feature? My wife has the s8(t-mobile version) and the option is there. I hope this wasn't removed from the note 8 or unlocked version.

Thanks

See more topics labeled with:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Constellation
Solution
Accepted by topic author user5JofLE5Jrb
‎09-26-2017 03:48 AM

Re: No video calling option, unlocked Note 8 on Tmobile

Hey everyone, I got my unlocked Note 8 yesterday and have been using it with a T-Mobile sim card. I spent a bunch of time trying to get the built in video calling to work and I finally got it, so I thought I would post a guide so the next person doesn't have to do the leg work.

Here is what I did, and I can now call other T-Mobile users via dialer based video calls: (the one down side is all numbers show the video call option, even if they are not T-Mobile customers, the calls just turn into audio when the other person answers)

1. Download Shortcut Master from app store (Light version works, but it's a great app, support the dev if you can)
2. Open the app and go to the menu (three dot's top right) and select app explorer
3. Scroll down to IMS Settings and select it.
4. Scroll down to ImsSettingsLauncherActivity (last item on my list) select it and hit launch.
5. Select IMS Service Switch and under that turn on everything on that screen. (For me most things (especially RCS items) were disabled by default, but when I looked at a friends S8+ settings they were all on so I tried that and all works now.)
6. Make video calls!

That's it, you should be able to make video calls from the dialer now.

Hope this helps someone! Thanks to the app dev and everyone on here for all the help I have gotten over the yea
38 REPLIES
Astronaut

I'm having the same problem. My friend has a Verizon note 8 and it has it. I had t mbile and Samsung reps arguing with each other about it on the phone. I got no solution yet. Try resettig the phone with the t mobile sim in. Might work

Constellation

It does have it. But the person you want to call must have a T-MOBILE capable device.

Asteroid

Thanks for responding. The problem is the Note 8. My wife and I were able to video chat just fine before I upgraded to the note 8 (both on same tmo plan). I do not have the option to video chat unless it is done through duo. Are you using the unlocked  version? If so, how were you able to initiate the call. Thanks.

Asteroid

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've also reset the phone with sim in and there was no change. This is a little irritating to upgrade and lose features. I'll keep digging and will post back if solution is found.

Cosmic Ray

Hi there,

I recently got an unlocked note 8 from Samsung.  It seems that all unlocked note 8 (non carrier branded) are having this issue. I read somewhere that each carrier has its own criteria for the HD, LTE, Video Call options and are only exclusive to carrier branded phones. I am with ATT. On the bright side I can use my phones hot spot with out paying extra.

This is why I changed my order to a carrier phone, because I needed to be sure the carrier specific features would work.  That and the fact I will probably get security updates faster.  

Constellation
Solution
Accepted by topic author user5JofLE5Jrb
‎09-26-2017 03:48 AM

Hey everyone, I got my unlocked Note 8 yesterday and have been using it with a T-Mobile sim card. I spent a bunch of time trying to get the built in video calling to work and I finally got it, so I thought I would post a guide so the next person doesn't have to do the leg work.

Here is what I did, and I can now call other T-Mobile users via dialer based video calls: (the one down side is all numbers show the video call option, even if they are not T-Mobile customers, the calls just turn into audio when the other person answers)

1. Download Shortcut Master from app store (Light version works, but it's a great app, support the dev if you can)
2. Open the app and go to the menu (three dot's top right) and select app explorer
3. Scroll down to IMS Settings and select it.
4. Scroll down to ImsSettingsLauncherActivity (last item on my list) select it and hit launch.
5. Select IMS Service Switch and under that turn on everything on that screen. (For me most things (especially RCS items) were disabled by default, but when I looked at a friends S8+ settings they were all on so I tried that and all works now.)
6. Make video calls!

That's it, you should be able to make video calls from the dialer now.

Hope this helps someone! Thanks to the app dev and everyone on here for all the help I have gotten over the yea
Constellation

Omg!! It worked! I spent hours with TMobile and they couldn't figure it out. Thank you So much!

Astronaut

i did exatly what is told in the instructions and it worked. thank you.