The Note 8 Has Choppy Youtube Video Playback Issues

Highlighted
Constellation

The Note 8 Has Choppy Youtube Video Playback Issues

Is anyone else experiencing choppy YouTube video playback on the Note 8?For me is does not matter what resolution(and frame rate) the video is, there are ALWAYS consistently dropped frames resulting in a pretty bad video viewing experience.

I am very sure it is NOT my networking speed as the same issue occurs even if my Note 8 is connected to my wi-fi(Several other devices on my home network have 0 playback choppiness or dropped frames) so I kindly ask that the generic "Have you checked you network?" solution is not suggested here.

This phone has been excellent otherwise, but seeing as I watch so much Youtube on my phone this has been a VERY dissappointing portion of my experience with the Note 8. Any suggestions or potential updates would be great!

**Side note: Now recording in 4K is extremely choppy(even more so than the YouTube playback) as well as the playback of the recorded video.....and yes the videos are set to record directly into the phones memory. :-)

14 REPLIES
Asteroid

Re: The Note 8 Has Choppy Youtube Video Playback Issues

Me too, playing the YouTube video OR a 4K video that I recorded using the phone, the frame rate is super choppy. Tell me, when you pull up a video you recorded yourself, on your gallery app, and it "previews" the video before you select to play it, the frame rate is perfect, right? Same as if you stream your own videos you shot with the device to a smart device such as a Smart tv, Xbox one etc??? 

Constellation

I have that same issue! It appeared out of the blue for me :'(

Cosmic Ray

[ Edited ]

After I read your posts I went to watch this YouTube Video at 2560×1440  Resolution and it was perfectly fluid on WiFi 2G, 5G and LTE.

US Unlocked Note 8 on T-Mobile Prepaid plan with None of their Software installed.

Watch "Dangerous CROSSWIND LANDINGS during a STORM at Amsterdam Schiphol - Boeing 747, Airbus 380 ..." on YouTube
https://youtu.be/6yGUTsJm1Hw

I visited Amsterdam Schiphol last monday, when a storm crossed the country and I was finally able to upload a "crosswind landings during a storm" video from another airport than Düsseldorf. It` s realy impressive to see how the skilled pilots dealed with crosswinds during the severe storm. It` s ...
Cosmic Ray

[ Edited ]

Double Post - Delete Please

Cosmic Ray

[ Edited ]

Also watched this in 1080p 60fps and it was also fluid on 2G, 5G, LTE. 

My Connection Speeds

WiFi Speed Test Score - 2G, 5G (61 Mbps)

T-Mobile LTE Speed Test Score - (56 Mbps)

Watch "JUSTICE LEAGUE Official Trailer [60FPS]" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/dXZq8iF91dg

Uploaded by 60FPS Trailers on 2017-03-26.
Asteroid

Ok. You're probably not going to like this reply, but have you checked your isp connection speeds? Do they throttle you with certain sites? How many users are sharing the network connection? This adds overhead to the bandwidth being used and can affect streaming HD. The type of encoding used to make the video can cause these issues as well.

I was on 15MBit (Bits not bytes - big difference) connecting with my ISP and struggling to stream HD as I saturated the line doing multiple things (I'm also not alone, 2 other siblings with me). HD at most worked on one device but not multiple devices simultaneously. I since upgraded to a 50MBit connection which helped greatly with streaming on top of doing other things.

Bottle neck can happen with the ISP and not home network. And how stable the connection and sync is with the ISP.

4k recording: do you have video stabilization enabled?  If so try to disable it and see if that helps.

Constellation

[ Edited ]

Hello, I still have my Note 4 and tested streaming the exact same videos. On the Note 4, smooth as butter on the same wi-fi connection. Also to note, I've tried  lowering the quality down to 360p, but it was still very very choppy.

Constellation

Yup, the preview playbacks fine.

Asteroid

Have you tried removing the Wi-Fi and entering your credentials again? Did you test on other Wi-Fi networks?