Group Messaging Issue on Note 9

Highlighted
Constellation

Group Messaging Issue on Note 9

I'm experiencing issues with group messages on my new Note 9. I have 10 contacts in a message that I try and send a message to.  When people reply, I get multiple individual threads instead of all messages going in the main thread. What's even weirder is that all 10 people are on these multiple messages but only a few of the 10 are in each thread. Meaning - the message shows all 10 people as recipients but only messages from 2 of the 10 are in one thread, 1 in another, 2 in another. It's annoying. These contacts have shown me that my messages go to them individually which is also weird. 

I've checked my message settings and Group Conversation is enabled but it seems like I'm missing another setting somewhere. I'm using the native Messages program however am not opposed to a different app if it will fix this (but would prefer the Messages to work!). 

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

13 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: Group Messaging Issue on Note 9

Can I ask if you used an iPhone in the past at all? If so, did you turn off iMessaging when switching over to Android?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Constellation

I too am having an issue. It's sending my texts to everyone individually and I'm receiving everyone's response separately as well. 

And no I've never had iPhone.

Constellation

I haven't had an iPhone in 7 years. I just switched from a S7 to the Note 9 in August. Group messaging was working fine on my S7. 

What's interesting is that I have other group messages that work fine so I'm curious what I'm missing!!

Samsung Moderator

Thanks for confirming, and just to be sure - this is happening with the stock messaging app correct userlajUH18DWP?

eeeeee42 Any change to the behavior if you test while the phone is in safe mode? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Constellation

Thanks for the tip SamsungCole. I rebooted my phone in Safe Mode and sent messages - the replies still come in multiple different messages instead of one group thread. Rats!

What else can I try? 

Samsung Moderator

Did you check to see if your iMessages are turned off?

Constellation

I too am having an issue with the group messaging on my Note 9.  I have the need to send messages to a group - but- they see it and reply as an individual.  They never know it is a group.  On my Note 8, I could simply uncheck the option located next to the text box while I was typing the message.  It would send to 10 people but they all got it individually.  When I got my Note 9, the option box was gone but I could still get the same result by clicking on the 3 stacked dots on the upper right and de-selecting the group silhouettes.  Worked fine even though it was a couple more steps.  Now, since I ran an update a couple days ago  the group silhouettes have disappeared.  How do I send out a group message without everyone seeing it or replying to it as a group?

Constellation

I'm having the same issue. When the reply back, it comes in individual multimedia text messages and takes a while to download (while being connected to a good wifi source). After it downloads, the message goes back to the group text. It throws the whole group text out of sync because I can't see what the response is until it's too late. I've tried deleting the thread and starting over but keep getting the same issue.

Samsung Moderator

Do you or did you use to own an iPhone?