Note 9 S-pen is not connecting to the phone.

Asteroid

Re: Note 9 S-pen is not connecting to the phone.

For some reason my phone can detect when I take out the S-Pen (ONLY SOMETIMES AND VERY INCONSISTANT) but it wont detect that you reinserted the S-Pen until about 10 or so minutes later and then it asks me to reconnect my S-Pen. It tries to connect but a minute later it says it cant. When I hover the S-Pen over my Note 9 instead of showing the small dot and previewing pictures it thinks its a full input and drags the home screen pages like my hovering S-Pen is my finger. I tested it on a drawing software I have too and it does still have pressure sensitivity but only when its actually touching the phone. This is a big problem because Im working on a lot of drawings and animations for a project that I can't do anymore because the S-Pen is having problems.

It's not the case because it still doesn't work with the case off, reseting everything doesn't work, and there is no dead zone. I would really like to get this fixed. I'm gonna go into verison soon to see if they can solve the problem but if anybody else can help me on this please do.

Asteroid

SamsungLarry I don't know how to do that. And I don't know how that would help anyways.

Samsung Moderator

Safe mode is used to help determine if an app is causing the issues or if the issue is hardware or software related. Typically if the issue happens while in safe mode then it means the issue is likely hardware related and service repairs would be recommended. You can get into safe mode using these steps: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-216817/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Constellation

i am having this EXACT same issue! tried every suggested solution and nothing seems to fix the issue. I'm affraid it has something to do with the hardware since everything was working fine and suddenly stopped without any firmware update.

Astronaut

In my case it seemed to be the phone case I bought, which has magnets in it for the lip to stay closed. 

I first noticed this when drawing and there was a deadzone around the magnet where the pen didnt work.

At some point my phone said the pen wasnt connected after coming out of airplane mode, and it wouldn't reconnect.

Then eventually removed the case and it connected again.

Im probably going to remove the magnets if possible, or get a new case without, which might be difficult.

Constellation

So I've been using the phone without the case and the pen issue is still there. Seems like Samsung needs to release a software fix for this problem expeditiously. That's if it's a software issue.

Constellation

I had the same issue for a few days and found that the magnetic latch on my Tech21 phone case was the issue, I had the case open and folded with the magnetic latch holding it open interrupting the connection I guess. I know this might not be a solution or the problem but it helped  me and might help someone else.

Cosmic Ray

@userDFmIBvywkn wrote:

I have this issue with one of the Note 9's as well.  The pen has connected a couple of times but only after a long wait and multiple attempts at pairing as well as the pen randomly disconnecting a short time later.  The pen works perfect in the other 2 Note 9's we have.  There is also a "dead zone" in the screen while using the s pen.   Its situated towards the right edge approximately near where the tip of the pen would be if you were to lie it on the screen point up.  It's more or less a perfect circle about the size of a nickel.   I've witnessed this exact same issue on another Note 9 from a different carrier as well.  Do you have this issue too?  I have no idea what a fix would be and plan to exchange the phone at my retailer tomorrow while I still can

Do you have a case with a kickstand? I had this problem when I had a case with a metal kickstand that had a magnet which caused the spot where the pen didn't work. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: (SOLVED) Note 9 S-pen is not connecting to the phone.

I was having issues with my S-Pen. It wasn't registering on the screen and when it did the pointer was misaligned. It also wasn't taking pictures. I tried reseting, checking the settings, etc.

I discovered it was my wallet-case (which had small magnets to close) causing the interference. Phone works fine without the case. I figured other Note 9 users would run into this problem and I just wanted to share. 

Astronaut

I noticed my s pen icon showing on the top bar indicating the battery is low which is impossible as I hardly use the pen and the pen wouldn't connect to the phone but after reading about magnets affecting connectivity I realised the new phone cover I used caused the issue and as soon as I removed it the pen functions are back to normal. So don't use phone covers with magnet closure for the note 9.