JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Android 11 update broke my ability to use the phone upside down in landscape

(Topic created on: 3/26/21 7:40 AM)
usercuDVh5VBh7
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

For physical therapy, I spend a fair bit of time hanging upside down in an inversion chair. It can be hard to do it for long, and playing a game on my phone has been a huge help to keep me distracted.

Ever since I upgraded to android 11, I no longer am able to use the phone in an upside-down orientation. It looks like the ability to lock auto-rotation was replaced with locking to either portrait or landscape. So if you choose landscape, it will still flip 180 degrees.

Is there a workaround to this or am I missing something? It has been incredibly frustrating.

Edit: I have a Note 10

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
usercuDVh5VBh7
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I found a solution (kind of..)

There are a ton of 3rd-party apps that control auto-rotate. Some of them are sketchy and most don't work at all. After trying several I found one that seemed to work,. However, later in the day, it was causing all sorts of issues in a game (stretching, areas of the touchscreen stopped working, etc.). So I uninstalled it and..... the built-in setting from the drop-down menu suddenly works like it did on Android 10.

I have no explanation for this. I've double-checked and made sure any rotation control apps I downloaded have been removed completely. I had no updates during this time.  Somehow, it appears, the app I've since deleted changed how the built-in control works. Maybe it has something to do with me deleting the app without changing the settings inside it back to normal first? No idea but hopefully this helps someone else. 

View solution in context

0 Likes
10 Replies
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
What phone do you have? Maybe I'm confused, but if you're saying your screen is upside-down, can't you just turn the phone around? With no physical buttons on the front screen, it doesn't matter if you hold it wrong.
0 Likes
usercuDVh5VBh7
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

This may sound strange, but I am trying to have it be upside down. I am hanging like a bat and using it at the same time. This was possible simply by locking auto-rotate in the pull-down menu in android 10.

0 Likes
dyakonov
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Same issue with my Note 10+ (Snapdragon version).

0 Likes
Incog
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
There is a serious bug in Samsung Android 11 where at some point in time the auto rotate along with the proximity sensor will stop working. The ONLY WAY to fix is a reboot of the device. Samsung has yet to address the issue or even comment about it. Their support suck.s worse than google support, and we all know how poor that is.
0 Likes
usercuDVh5VBh7
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I have seen this problem reported all over the place. It actually makes it very hard to search for any info for my problem. Auto-rotate is working fine on my phone, but I can no longer lock it to one specific orientation. Android 11 has made it so you lock it to either portrait or landscape, and if you hold the phone upside down in landscape, it will auto-rotate back to right side up.

0 Likes
Incog
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
What version of oneUI are you on?
0 Likes
usercuDVh5VBh7
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Version 3.1

0 Likes
userPHEHtv06Wb
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
mm hub mugs gppn
0 Likes
Monsieur_ilich
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
The same problem. When will Samsung fix this bug?
0 Likes