Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Engineer_Yasser
Constellation

Backup password is required after restart instead of fingerprint Note 4

JUMP TO SOLUTION

After Note 4 update to android 6.0.1 Marshmallow

after restart mobile , it asks for backup password instead of Fingerprint   !!!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Neutron Star

Re: Backup password is required after restart instead of fingerprint Note 4

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Engineer_Yasser wrote:

@Engineer_Yasser

This is the way marshmallow works. It is a change that Google has made. After restart you can't unlock with fingerprint. 

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
xrayn22
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

go to settings>lock screen and security>fingerprints> enable fingerprint unlock

Engineer_Yasser
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i already enabled the fingerprint lock , it works normal except after restart i must write backup password for 1st login then work normal after that >

userp17682ni0M
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well that was a stupid answer you can't get in your phone because you can't use your fingerprint so how you supposed to reset it? You have to be able to get into it to set it

Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Engineer_Yasser wrote:

@Engineer_Yasser

This is the way marshmallow works. It is a change that Google has made. After restart you can't unlock with fingerprint. 

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

gmhernandez
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
How can you say this is a solution. Please dont try to get point saying lies. Saying this is what it is cant be a solution specially when things where working fine before the "Improvement"
Note4lover
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is simply to agree with the accepted solution, which is that the new way fingerprint unlocking works under Marshmallow is by design. The reason I am bothering to confirm this is that I have seen a lot of misinformation in various places on the Internet, but more to the point, was even misled by Samsung's telephone support, who advised me to get a software re-flash. No amount of re-flash (unless you root and go back to Lollipop), clearing cache, or factory resetting is going to "fix" this. I personally disagree with Google's new design for Marshmallow in this respect, but this is the rationale: a number of customers had been locking themselves out of their phones because they were fortunate enough to have their fingerprint scanners work so reliably that they never had to use their backup password, and thus forgot it. When the time came that the fingerprint scanner wouldn't work, they thus had no backup method for unlocking their phones without a factory reset; so Google decided to force us users to use our backup passwords occasionally.

Be aware that these comments only apply to this very specific situation: powering up or restarting. The fingerprint scanner should still work when you are unlocking the lock screen that comes up after the time-out interval has passed that you specified in settings. If that doesn't work, you have a real problem that may need to be solved by a software flash or factory reset, or maybe only a clearing of cache.

useCERNaim
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So basically if you you have the fingerprint scanner as your phone lock, after being robbed at gun point the robber just has to reset your phone then change your default backup password.

Google cares more about being able to spy on you than saving your life.

Bonedatt
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Wow! You're that paranoid? 

MrDaddy13
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Note4lover wrote:

This is simply to agree with the accepted solution, which is that the new way fingerprint unlocking works under Marshmallow is by design. The reason I am bothering to confirm this is that I have seen a lot of misinformation in various places on the Internet, but more to the point, was even misled by Samsung's telephone support, who advised me to get a software re-flash. No amount of re-flash (unless you root and go back to Lollipop), clearing cache, or factory resetting is going to "fix" this. I personally disagree with Google's new design for Marshmallow in this respect, but this is the rationale: a number of customers had been locking themselves out of their phones because they were fortunate enough to have their fingerprint scanners work so reliably that they never had to use their backup password, and thus forgot it. When the time came that the fingerprint scanner wouldn't work, they thus had no backup method for unlocking their phones without a factory reset; so Google decided to force us users to use our backup passwords occasionally.

Be aware that these comments only apply to this very specific situation: powering up or restarting. The fingerprint scanner should still work when you are unlocking the lock screen that comes up after the time-out interval has passed that you specified in settings. If that doesn't work, you have a real problem that may need to be solved by a software flash or factory reset, or maybe only a clearing of cache.

This feature enhancement has created a big safety hazard for me while driving.  I have a long commute, and frequently need to restart my phone during my drive.  Requiring me to enter a password while driving is akin to forcing me to text while driving.  This is made worse because of special characters in my password.  Never had this problem before Marshmallow.  I wouldn't have accepted the update if I knew this would have been a side-effect.  Google needs to remove this dangerous requirement immediately.