Original topic:

Battery charge limit to 80%

(Topic created on: 3/27/21 12:33 PM)
Negai
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
As a business user I use the ultra fast super charger all the time, my problem is that I only want to LIMIT charge to 80% for max charge speed. And be notified when phone is charged. For now I use accu battery app, but would be nice if this was built in function 
7 Replies
Chef31684
Comet
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Honestly very curious. Why would you want to only charge to 80%?
Negai
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
That's a VERY valid question :) I spent many years studying Rechargables and later electric cars. Phones use layered single cell batteries, which encounter more resistance the more charges you attempt to isolate into the cathode and anode. So in electricity terms, it takes X Energy to charge 0% to 80%, it takes exact same X energy to charge 80% to 100%. The wasted 80% or energy is thrown into resistance (heat and degredation) both which are not worth trading off for 1 more hours in the day.

I use my phone over 15 hours of screen time a day with powerful processing, rendering, file compression, and media, no battery capacity is enough for me, so the alternative is I depend to super charge my phone to 80% in 40 minutes. And I literally set myself alarms when I stick it to charging :)
It's not worth waiting 40 minutes more for the final 20% of charge.
0 Likes
Chef31684
Comet
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I see. Thanks
Pablo3
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Limiting the charging to 80% instaed of 100% could help to increase the battery life in the long term, as it is subject to less stress. On both extremes (100% and 0%) the battery is under stress. That's why phones come with 50% charge from factory.

Negai
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Yup! That's right
0 Likes
Chef31684
Comet
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Interesting. I always charge my phone 100% before work as I can not always take time to charge it up again at work. Oh well. Still getting the same battery life I did when it was brand new.
0 Likes
Pablo3
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Same question. Some laptops have a charging limiter. 

In my case, I try not to use super fast charging when possible.

0 Likes