Original topic:

Deep Sleeping Apps

(Topic created: 09-30-2021 05:44 PM)
Nick4869
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I have an app on my phone that aggressively eats my battery. Due to the kind of app it is it's necessary for me to have it. When I noticed that my battery was a lot lower at the end of the day than it should have been, I checked my battery stats and saw that this app was the culprit, so I set it as a deep Sleeping app and restricted BG data usage. Yet whenever I use the app on my phone, even after it's closed out it still continues to run in the BG. Checking my stats earlier, I only had the app open once for a grand total of a minute today but for whatever reason it continued running in the BG for 11 hours, eating up nearly 10% of my battery. If I have my OS set to restrict BG usage for this app then why does it continue to run in the BG all day? The only thing that seems to stop it is force closing it. I shouldn't have to do that if I have BG activity for the app turned off completely. Has anyone else had the same/similar issue?

My phone is a factory unlocked Galaxy Note 10+ SM-N975UBAXAA running Android 11/OneUI 3.1 w/September 1, 2021 security patch. But I have noticed the same issue with my Galaxy Note 9 SM-N960U running Android 10/OneUI 2.5 w/August 1, 2021 security patch. The Note 9 came to me unlocked but it probably previously belonged to T-mobile as it boots with their logo.

For reference, the app giving me the issue is called HomeSafe View. It's an app used to remotely monitor a Swann brand security camera system. 
0 Likes
7 Replies
Je655
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Try turning on optimize battey usage for the app to see if that helps.
Device settings>apps>3 dots>special access>optimize battery usage>"your app">turn on

If you don't see your app then the option is probably already enabled. You can verify this by switching apps not optimized to all near the top of the optimize battery usage settings.

It would be helpful to know what app exactly is having the issue so I could look into settings/problems that relate to it.
0 Likes
Nick4869
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
The app has always been optimized. The app in question is an app for Swann home security cams. The app is poorly rated because a litany of issues and no update for the app has been given since about this time last year last time I checked. It's called HomeSafe View
Je655
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
To fully close this app you will need to long press the app till you see app info and force stop the app.

I would contact the developers to inform them of this issue.

For assistance with this app, contact Swann Tech Support – tech@swann.com
0 Likes
Nick4869
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I will give you that a big part of the issue is the app itself. It's poorly designed and has a pretty low rating on play store and is honestly one of the most ill designed apps I've encountered in all my time using android phones. But a big part of the issue seems to lie in Samsung's obviously faulty battery saving features in OneUI . I mean if I have every setting enabled to prevent this from happening then there's no way it should be happening. Idk if Google Play allows developers to design their apps to circumvent these measures but I doubt that's the case as Android seems to be cracking down on what an app can/can't do when it's not actively running more and more with every new release, like being more restrictive on app permissions and how and when those features can be utilized by apps. I've read that out of all the major manufacturers, Samsung has some of the most aggressive, battery saving techniques and indeed I've had many issues with OneUI terminating apps that I do want to run in the BG and issues with not receiving notifications for a while and then I suddenly get 20 notifications at once, often a decent amount of time after the notifications came in on a different device. And I do get that this could be because I run a vpn that has a habit of disconnecting when it's idle and I have my phone set to block non-vpn traffic but there are local notifications that are supposed to come in regardless of network state and oftentimes they're extremely delayed in doing so despite the fact that they came in on time on other devices. Most of my devices are Samsung but I do have a few non Samsung devices and notifications have no issue coming in on time on those devices. But considering how restrictive OneUI is with apps that I have set to run freely I just don't understand how this app seems to be slipping by completely. Of course it's been a year since the last time they released an update for it so I imagine the version I'm using was designed for Android 10. Idk if maybe that has something to do with this or not. But from this standpoint, the battery saving stuff in OneUI seems to be extremely selective with what it controls and seems to give no restrictions to apps you want to be restricted, while restricting the **bleep** out of apps that you do want running in the BG. It seems to do whatever it wants and completely disregards user input. The original issue at hand is far from the only issue I've had with this stuff
0 Likes
Nick4869
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
And judging by the fact that it's been one year to the day since their last posted update and the fact that most of the reviews are outright complaints, it doesn't seem like Swann is interested in rectifying any issues the app in its current state has so I don't see myself getting very far contacting their support dept. about it. In most cases these developers give you the same cut and pasted reply that they give anyone that has issues or concerns with their apps, their own iteration of a form letter, and in a lot of cases, support will just outright ghost you if they feel you're bothering them too much, because it's a lot easier to ignore a problem than it is to fix it.
0 Likes
ShortyMa
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
In app settings go to battery and switch off allow background activity.
0 Likes
Nick4869
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Anything setting I could change to optimize the battery usage and restrict BG activity of this app has been performed. There is absolutely no way this app should have any BG activity. This is why I made this post. Because I have done everything short of uninstalling the app to fix this issue. The only thing that seems to solve the issue is force closing the app from settings and I feel this is something I should absolutely not have to do if I already have every setting possible enabled to keep the app from doing this
0 Likes