cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userFQdawQXggE
Asteroid

Downloading files while I sleep.

Hello guys.

Tonight I woke up and saw a notification from "Samsung Internet" that download for files named ( 1327.html ) and ( he.html )  is finished. They were downloaded on my phone  with a minute difference while I slept. Can somwbody help to figure out if that was something dangerous?

8 REPLIES 8
userFQdawQXggE
Asteroid

Re: Downloading files while I sleep.

20190815_030207.jpgSome more info on the files from download manager

iamwaynegilbert
Cosmic Ray

No, everything is fine and your just receiving the latest...

No, everything is fine and your just receiving the latest updates.

userFQdawQXggE
Asteroid

Re: No, everything is fine and your just receiving the latest...

@iamwaynegilbert wrote:

No, everything is fine and your just receiving the latest updates.

Any way I can check if there was an update scheduled around that timemark?

userJxpwIoW4l3
Astronaut

It could be files that are being downloaded automatically. Just make sure your device doesnt download from adware sites.

userFQdawQXggE
Asteroid

@userJxpwIoW4l3 wrote:

It could be files that are being downloaded automatically. Just make sure your device doesnt download from adware sites.

How to?

Samsung Care Ambassador

@userFQdawQXggE wrote:

Hello guys.

Tonight I woke up and saw a notification from "Samsung Internet" that download for files named ( 1327.html ) and ( he.html )  is finished. They were downloaded on my phone  with a minute difference while I slept. Can somwbody help to figure out if that was something dangerous?

Greetings. The GoogleAd domain is related to an app. To know which, would require network usage to be dumped. The other file comes from a domain that appears to be in Hebrew or Arabic. These files should be erased. This behavior is not normal at all. Honest apps prompt users to cache files, rather than pulling without consent. 

A rogue app on your device requested these files, or perhaps 2 unrelated apps are responsible. Again, without a log I cannot ascertain the exact user app. 

In this case you could run safe mode for a day to see if the issue continues.  Other than that you'd need to remove 3rd party apps one by one to weed out the troublemakers. Safe mode is triggered this way:

- Hold Power Key, and wait for menu

- Long press Power Off option

- Select Safe Mode

If my reply has aided your issue please consider liking it. If the problem is solved you may pick it as a solution.
userFQdawQXggE
Asteroid

@Leinz wrote:

@userFQdawQXggE wrote:

Hello guys.

Greetings. The GoogleAd domain is related to an app. To know which, would require network usage to be dumped. The other file comes from a domain that appears to be in Hebrew or Arabic. These files should be erased. This behavior is not normal at all. Honest apps prompt users to cache files, rather than pulling without consent. 

A rogue app on your device requested these files, or perhaps 2 unrelated apps are responsible. Again, without a log I cannot ascertain the exact user app. 

In this case you could run safe mode for a day to see if the issue continues.  Other than that you'd need to remove 3rd party apps one by one to weed out the troublemakers. Safe mode is triggered this way:

- Hold Power Key, and wait for menu

- Long press Power Off option

- Select Safe Mode

I will try safe mode for one day, after I deleted the downloaded files, and let you know, probably  not today tho. I highly doubt I downloaded something unsafe my self, as I am not app crazy, and barely have any apps as I use my phone mostly for work.

+ How can we check network usage at the timemark?

Samsung Care Ambassador

The best you can do is record a log with adb, or use an app like Syslog (Google Play Store) to export events. These will have timestamps. I cannot guarantee that the rogue app(s) will attempt to download unsolicited files again. 

Now, the app responsible isn't necessarily a bad one itself. CCleaner is a popular program that was compromised a while back. That's just one example of a trusted source not being safe. 

If my reply has aided your issue please consider liking it. If the problem is solved you may pick it as a solution.