cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user9Wt1rL3BwS
Asteroid

Dual Camera Mode

Today my Samsung S8 has been updated to Andriod Pie. The samsung camera 'dual camera' feature apprears to have been removed from the camera app. This is very suprising to me as the new operating system is supposed to offer users more flexibility in terms of multiple camera options.

Does annyone understand why Samsung have done this?

I have also tried downloading the 'DuoVision' app that is mentioned in this thread, however  the dual camera feature delivers a message that 'unfortunaly the device does not support this feature'.

Does anyone know how to create a live pitcure-in-pictue effect (or video-in-video effect) on any Samsung phone running Android Pie?

@Geno71 @Maris @userOSEaboibxQ @user7q1ZbfS1NZ @userd5loLhrAmS 

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Maris
Cosmic Ray

Re: Dual Camera Mode

I was alarmed when I saw that message too, however when I I asked the developer about it that is not what he meant. It's just that Samsung disabled the dual camera as built in. Rest assured DuoVision app still works on Pie update. It's a little awkward to use because it requires you to take the two pictures yourself but they are combined into one. At the moment you are not able to place the front camera picture where you would like it to be, but the developer said this would  be coming in a future update. I always tap the rotate icon on the first screen for the combined picture. There are no instructions in the app, but this one works well. 

user9Wt1rL3BwS
Asteroid

Hi Maris,

Thanks for the reply, but I worry you may have the wrong end of the stick on this conversation.

The conversation is trying to find out why Samsung has disabled its phones from using the front and rear cameras simultaneously on Android pie (this is also no longer possible via DuoVision).

We are aware that the phones have the hardware and processing capabilites to do this, as it was possible on the same phones on android oreo.

Anyone????

AnwarNillufary
Astronaut

Hi there!

I have exactly the same problem with my Galaxy S8 over here. Did you find a solution?

I suspect if I roll back the operating System from Android Pie back to Android Oreo the problem will be solved, but then I have to find a way to prevent my phone from auto upgrading. Is that possible? But I hope, I don't have to do this just in order to come around this issue.

user73iXUu0e47
Asteroid

I did that and revert back to oreo on my s8 cause i love the dual camera mode and also the possibility to record calls that remove it too. Now i have them again Smiley Happy The phone notify me for update but it doesn't install by it self just ignore it

user9Wt1rL3BwS
Asteroid

It is very disappointing that Android Pie users should be forced to roll back their operating systems to enable features that are compatible with the hardware or all current Samsung devices.

I hope that Samsung can provide an update that will allow simultaneous camera usage when using Android Pie with their camera app.

My understanding is that simultaneous camera use should be possible using a third-party app as the Android Orio does allow multi camera functionality, however it does not seem to work on Samsung’s core camera app.

Has anyone found any third-party app on that allow simultaneous front and rear camera use?

Harjot_Reen
Astronaut

Hi, 

I own a Galaxy Note 8.

I had participated in Android Pie Beta testing program when it was made available in India by Samsung before its official release. As soon as i updated to Pie Beta, I explored each and every change in software and found that this Pie was going to ruin the phone visibly and some features were also eliminated like the Dual Video recording (which was one of the main reasons i bought Note 8 at a time). I immediately downgraded the software to Android Oreo via SMART SWITCH and got back all the good stuff that i liked in Oreo including the visible favourites and dual recording app, however in android Oreo also, the dual record feature works with an add on apk file which is available on Internet easily. And now, i have the software update notification which i would never allow to update to official Android Pie. Cheers Smiley Happy

userxFIBgU4ceG
Astronaut

You were able to roll it back? I did a factory reset and when it came back up it was still Pie. What did you do to get back to Oreo? I literally bought the 8+ last summer because my friend bought the S9 and it didn't have the dual camera mode. I am so angry they took this away!