Original topic:

Gallery Error - is it Legit?

(Topic created: 11-25-2023 12:09 AM)
420bunny
Comet
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Getting a message from my phone's Gallery periodically that I do not click on that says "Your SD Card has corrupt files or other issues. You may want to back it up or replace it soon." with an only 'Not Now' button to click. It eventually dissapears and I actually just got it today again but haven't seen it in gosh maybe 6 months to a year already which is why I think it's fake. That plus the single button option only & the fact that my antivirus etc scanning never picks up on any probs at all and I've got several reputable ones running all the time i.e., AVG, McAfee etc. Anyone know if this is actually a fake message. It appears up top like a banner in my phone's built in Gallery app usually when the 'Pictures' opt is selected not the norm 'Albums' view on bottom which is also kinda strange that it's only in that view it shows up usually & not when in my norm Albums view. Wish i could attach the screenshot but it's pretty much this is it & it's black with white font. 🙂 

Device Model: 
Galaxy Note10 Plus5g SM-N976U
Android 12
One UI v.4.1 

If ya need more info holler. FYI my device has also been compromised (IMEI # matched to my name etc) & my identity stolen countless times (I essentially stopped counting that's how much lol) since I'm a customer of TMobile in case that's important here & possibly related. Thanks for any help!
0 Likes
13 Replies
420bunny
Comet
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
There haha look at me attachin stuff lol anyway there's the exact situation I'm referring.to.1700899978478.jpg
0 Likes
420bunny
Comet
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
ATTN SAMSUNG What I was really after was confirmation from my phone's makers ...Samsung folks by posting thos question to tell me whether or not that msg that's appearing in their default Gallery app is truly their message. Since no reply yet I'm bringing it up again see attached screenshot ty
0 Likes
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hi, The message does look to be a system message. To be sure, you can download the Good Lock app and look for the Nice Catch module. Once you download it, there is an option for Toast history. Turn this on. It will let you know which app is sending the notification.

You can use the following link to troubleshooting the SD card: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001474/

0 Likes
420bunny
Comet
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
(apologies for the initial msg I'm literally typing driving don't mix for all sorts of reasons that were pretty obvious here I'm sure...but editing msgs is even worse cuz ur shrunk down to a 4 line msg window here but just so ya know I'm tryin here to simplify as best I can..so hopefully this vers is slightly easier & more sensible anyway. L8tr!✌️)
Appreciate it very much!!! Would u know if Gallery 14.5.01.2 has sdcard error scanning coded in it that would even do this specific action cuz if it doesn't that would tell me it's not legit then? That's kinda what I was after if it was easy enough to answer. If not no biggy.

Anyway in trying to find the version I did discover a pending update appatently. Even tho it's setup to auto update but I'll manually update here in a min. Hopefully that'll fix it & make it go away. If not I'll do the suggestion.

I just honestly thot this type system msg was off a bit just cuz it's coming from my system Gallery app which isn't exactly an app u automatically assume is doing error checking on my sdcard of all places or at least without asking the end user initially to proceed, another red flag for me.

I also fig it would come maybe from the Knox security or the Device Care preloaded situation cuz I use it fairly regularly.
0 Likes
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

If you have configured the Gallery to save to the SD card, it regularly monitors the status of the card. If an error is detected, you would receive a message such as in your screenshot. This is letting you know you need to back up the data on the SD card in a different location as the SD card could be about to fail.

The Nice Catch module in the Good Lock app will show if the notification is coming from the Gallery app. If this is the case, we strongly recommend saving your data in a different location or to a new SD card.

Josphe72
Star
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Do you run more than one anti-virus app at once?
0 Likes
420bunny
Comet
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
If you count McAfee Security and AVG Antivirus "antivirus apps" then yes but they scan at not the same times or they are setup that way. U want me to try taking one off? McAfee would be the one axed if I did
0 Likes
420bunny
Comet
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Didn't fix it removing them but I did try it .
0 Likes
Josphe72
Star
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
It's your phone you do as you wish. Just those apps use a lot of resources, constantly run in the background when enabled, can conflict with one another and can cause more problems than they actually prevent. I'm with you on axing McAfee instead of AVG.

But all that really doesn't explain that pop up you get. It's suspect to me.