I can no longer get Internet access over wi-fi after upgrading to Marshmallow (6.0.1) on my Note 5 (Verizon). I updated my phone yesterday (March 24). I have tried several options, so let me describe the problem, what works, and what doesn't.
I can connect to wi-fi but cannot get internet services. Sometimes I get an authentication error with wi-fi, which never happened before the update. Usually, however, it will reconnect if I just tap on the wi-fi network from the settings. But even when wi-fi remains connected, the internet connection fails. It fails on multiple routers and services (e.g., home x 2, work x 2, coffee shops), so the routers and providers do not seem to be the source of the problem.
Wi-fi does work correctly in safe mode. In fact, when I boot in normal mode, it works for about a minute, while other apps continue to load. Then the phone loses internet. I have tried to disable apps that I know start up (Lux, Kaspersky security software, Gsam battery monitor, etc.) but wi-fi still fails. It may be an internal system process or Google-, Samsung-, or Verizon-installed app that causes the loss of internet connection, but it would have to be an app that does not load in safe mode.
These options did not fix the problem: restarting my phone; forgetting and reestablishing connections to wi-fi services; and changing the DNS, IP address; and gateway, etc.; static or dynamic IP addresses. I have read several reports that factory reset did not help--and in the past I have found that factory resent does not solve problems. It does, however, take a lot of time to get all my apps and settings back to the way they were.
At the moment, my phone is just a brick when connected to wi-fi, perhaps a paper weight with a pretty screen. But it's not a smart phone because all the "smart" has become inaccessible.
Solved! Go to Solution.
I do not have those apps, but I have heard of several third-part apps that are causing problems, including the Dunkin Donuts, SuperCuts, and TouchTunes apps. I have a link to that (lengthy) discussion below. Of course, that's certainly not an exhaustive list, but each of those apps apparently requrest permissions for bluetooth access.
The working hypothesis seems to be that these apps include code that somehow significantly slows 2.4 ghz wi-fi connectionsbut not the 5 ghz connections. It may be that RetailMeNot and ACCU-CHEK 360 also request the same permissions and have the same bug. At least one person has found that simply turning off system settings to one of those apps had solved the problem.
Link to discussion of apps that (effectively) disable wi-fi:
I'm having the same issues on my Note 4. I thought maybe it was a network error. I have Sprint and while sometimes the LTE connection isn't the best, I've never had any trouble connecting to any wi-fi. I even tried bebooting my home router to see if that would help. Nothing has worked. I sure hope it gets resolved soon!
I had been keeping apps updated as notified by Google Play. I just updated the most recent 7 apps, and turned on wi-fi. It appears to be working, which is surprising. It does appear to run slowly, tho. I'm at work, and we have a very speedy wi-fi and Internet connection. A 950 KB file is took about five minutes and then gave me a network error. Oh, wi-fi has gotten slower. It just took about 20 seconds to open the Google search page.