JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

July Update: Unlocked SM-N960U1 vs SM-N960U

(Topic created: 08-05-2020 01:58 PM)
userxP1ZMLLDSz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I just purchased two Samsung Note 9 phones, one for my wife and one for me. Hers is an unlocked T-Mobile phone (SM-N960U) if I have that correctly. Mine is a factory unlocked SM-960U1. Hers updated to the July Android 10 w/ OneUI 2.1 as soon as I set her up on it. Mine? Still waiting. The phone is currently on the June update, still with OneUI 2.0... and I am wondering when it will update, or if there's a way to find the file to update it myself. Help? T-Mobile is also my provider... but I note they do not update unlocked phones, Samsung apparently does....

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userxP1ZMLLDSz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I will mark this as the solution: Samsung/T-Mobile have released the UI 2.1 update as of this morning, August 11, for the N960U1 (unlocked) Samsung Note 9. I will, however, add one caveat... at the end of the install I got an error message (included in photo below). I did - I think - figure out a cure that is NOT the one offered elsewhere by Samsung and various providers. 

The problem: A repeating error message that says the installation was not complete and I need to contact my provider. (See photo). 

The answer: After of course updating your phone... and seeing the error message appear. Settings > Software Updates > UICC Unlock. Note that the latter says beneath it "Your device is unlocked..." as it should if you have an N960U1. Touch the button and get a warning that your sim is locked. That's fine, too. Hit "OK" button beneath warning message. This may be ALL you need to do to get rid of the nag screen. I hope it works for you, it did for me.

Thanks all who participated in helping me sort this. I guess I just had to be patient.

Screenshot_20200811-060521_OMADM.jpg

View solution in context

0 Likes
9 Replies
MsKhitii
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Open the app menu, tap on the Settings app, scroll to the bottom, select Software Updates, tap Check for updates. You should be able to install from there. Make sure you're connected to wifi. It usually won't download without it.
0 Likes
userxP1ZMLLDSz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Yes, this is the usual way to update. But I am getting "Your software is up to date," even though it is not the 2.1 update to Android 10. Are other people with my exact "unlocked" version of the Note 9 getting an update (I use T-Mobile as my provider but this unlocked version of the update comes from Samsung, correct)? I tried the "safe mode" approach, enabled wireless within it, and still got the same message.

JohnLoose
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Here's info on the updates for your device from a third party: https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/firmware/SM-N960u1/XAA/

Are you able to try updating from Settings by searching for "Update" and selecting the option to update?

Finally, some common troubleshooting might help here:

---

Did this reply help? Be sure to click" ✓ Accept as Solution" if you found this reply solved your issue or pointed you in the right direction. You can also click the heart to let me know your appreciation! 
0 Likes
userxP1ZMLLDSz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Yes, they list a current update for the phone... BUT... under T-Mobile list one update back as the current.
https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-note9/firmware/SM-N960u1/TMB/

My next question, providing T-Mobile/Samsung won't provide an update for this phone,  is can I install a non-T-Mobile update and expect the phone to (a) take it, and/or (b) work correctly w/ T-Mobile after doing so? 

And thank you for coming alongside here... I did (last night) reset the phone. Today, following your suggestion, I used the vol-up, bixby, power button to go into recovery and wipe the cache. Still same result. 

0 Likes
MRxROBOT
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hey there Sir. Hope you and your family are safe;

I have same model as yours and a friend of mine has the same as your wife;

Mine got the update you mention alteady;

Please go to Settings > Software Updates > Check for updates;

It should be there, maybe it didnt do automatically, as mine did'nt, but hopefully will be there, lets us know if anything;

cya

0 Likes
userxP1ZMLLDSz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Is yours using a T-Mobile sim? Or another provider's? And thank you for responding!

0 Likes
userURYTpb3K2T
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Hey there!

I too am on T-Mobile and was wondering why I wasn't getting the update. I searched around on the internet, and saw some suggest putting in a non-T-Mobile sim card and attempting to update once more.

I borrowed a family member's active H2O (AT&T) sim card, let my phone reboot, went to check for an update, and VOILA! It was found.

I took out the sim card and replaced it with my T-Mobile sim, proceeding normally.

Hope this helps
userxP1ZMLLDSz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I'm intrigued by that idea. An app called Check Firm looks up update beta info and it tells me they are working on an update as of Aug 8. So maybe I will wait a little longer before going that route. But thank you very much. 

0 Likes
Solution
userxP1ZMLLDSz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I will mark this as the solution: Samsung/T-Mobile have released the UI 2.1 update as of this morning, August 11, for the N960U1 (unlocked) Samsung Note 9. I will, however, add one caveat... at the end of the install I got an error message (included in photo below). I did - I think - figure out a cure that is NOT the one offered elsewhere by Samsung and various providers. 

The problem: A repeating error message that says the installation was not complete and I need to contact my provider. (See photo). 

The answer: After of course updating your phone... and seeing the error message appear. Settings > Software Updates > UICC Unlock. Note that the latter says beneath it "Your device is unlocked..." as it should if you have an N960U1. Touch the button and get a warning that your sim is locked. That's fine, too. Hit "OK" button beneath warning message. This may be ALL you need to do to get rid of the nag screen. I hope it works for you, it did for me.

Thanks all who participated in helping me sort this. I guess I just had to be patient.

Screenshot_20200811-060521_OMADM.jpg

View solution in context

0 Likes