JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Why is Microsoft Excel on SD Card

(Topic created: 01-14-2023 09:39 AM)
billc_ia
Halo
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Why would the Microsoft Excel app be on my SD card and no other Microsoft Office apps? Can't move it to internal storage. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ˆ_ˆ
Halo
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
If you do not want it on the SD card, that sounds like it would work. Make sure to eject the SD card in storage settings before removing the tray (or alternatively, power off phone to remove tray).

This may explain why it's getting installed to the SD card:
- with SD formatted as internal storage, an application manifest value (metadata packaged with an app) controls where the app will be installed. If the value is missing, it goes to phone storage and can't be moved. If the value is 'auto', it goes to phone storage if there's room enough, otherwise SD, and it can be moved. If it's 'preferExternal' it goes to SD if there's room enough there. It should still be possible to change the storage location and move to internal though. So I can't explain it if that's not working.

See https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/install-location.html

View solution in context

4 Replies
ˆ_ˆ
Halo
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
@billc_ia What happens if you uninstall and reinstall it? This won't affect your files, which will stay where they are (OneDrive or a directory on your phone).
0 Likes
billc_ia
Halo
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

It went back onto my SD card. Should I remove the SD card after uninstalling, reinstall, then put my SD card back in?

0 Likes
Solution
ˆ_ˆ
Halo
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
If you do not want it on the SD card, that sounds like it would work. Make sure to eject the SD card in storage settings before removing the tray (or alternatively, power off phone to remove tray).

This may explain why it's getting installed to the SD card:
- with SD formatted as internal storage, an application manifest value (metadata packaged with an app) controls where the app will be installed. If the value is missing, it goes to phone storage and can't be moved. If the value is 'auto', it goes to phone storage if there's room enough, otherwise SD, and it can be moved. If it's 'preferExternal' it goes to SD if there's room enough there. It should still be possible to change the storage location and move to internal though. So I can't explain it if that's not working.

See https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/install-location.html
billc_ia
Halo
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

As suspected, that was the only way to get it to internal storage. Strange. Thanks for the input.

0 Likes