cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kubrendan
Asteroid

Note 3 Phone Audio Won't Work Unless Connected to Bluetooth

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For the past several months, my Note 3 will not function as a phone (incoming or outgoing audio) unless it is connected to a Bluetooth device (my car, headset, etc.). That is, no one can hear me, and I cannot hear anyone. I do hear the noise of touching the numbers on the dialpad, but then nothing after that (not even the "connect" noise).

I have tried turning off Bluetooth, unpairing existing devices, turning the phone off, trying speakerphone or non-Bluetooth headphones, etc. The ONLY thing that has helped to fix this temporarily is to completely take the battery out for 30 seconds and then reboot the phone--simply rebooting the phone doesn't do it. Since my phone is encrypted due to work policy, it takes 5 minutes to reboot, so this isn't a great solution. The audio will work for calls usually after doing this, but only for a short time, usually until it connects to a Bluetooth device again.

No other applications have any issues with audio.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but this started happening after I had a rental car and paired with Bluetooth in it. I removed the pairing right after turning in the rental. I'm not sure if the two are connected or not.

Sprint was less than helpful--they just tried to sell me a new phone.

Web searches haven't come up with anything since they just lead to troubleshooting Bluetooth not working.

Any ideas? Thanks!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
kubrendan
Asteroid

Re: Note 3 Phone Audio Won't Work Unless Connected to Bluetooth

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just an update, in case it helps anyone else out: I went to the apps list and went to the Bluetooth app settings and cleared the cache and data. Since then, the phone has been working as a phone again, even after connecting to and disconnecting from Bluetooth. So, it has functioned for the past 24 hours without difficulty after doing that. If anyone else has this issue, you might try that. Smiley Happy

4 REPLIES 4
Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have some ideas to narrow down the issue further. 

Can you try using an app like Skype, Google hangout, whatsapp, etc.... and call someone on this app and see if audio works there? 

When you play music on your phone with no Bluetooth connected, do you hear it in phone's ear piece? 

Have you by any chance installed an app that controls or customizes Bluetooth connection? 

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

kubrendan
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the reply! 

Google Hangouts DOES work with audio (and video). It is only the phone audio itself that seems to be having an issue. So, I tried a couple other phone dialer apps, but that didn't do anything.

When I play music on the phone, it plays just fine through the phone audio or non-BT headphones (I'm doing that right now, actually).

I did not install any BT customization apps that I'm aware of. 

Neutron Star

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My S4 had a similar issue 1.5 year ago. I would dial a number and it would connect and then be totally silent. I could not hear the other side and they could not hear me. 

I ended up Factory reset that phone to make it work. 

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
kubrendan
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just an update, in case it helps anyone else out: I went to the apps list and went to the Bluetooth app settings and cleared the cache and data. Since then, the phone has been working as a phone again, even after connecting to and disconnecting from Bluetooth. So, it has functioned for the past 24 hours without difficulty after doing that. If anyone else has this issue, you might try that. Smiley Happy