Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cosmic Ray

Re: Note 4 rebooting, restarting, freezing, not restarting properly, Wake Lock

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Mircoron wrote:

I repeat this:

the only solution is reduce the power drain by CPU.

You have to install a kernel or ROM with CPU clock frequency control and reduce it

below 2 GHz instead of 2.7 GHz.

Whether this (crazy technical) fix actually works or not is moot....

The average person doesnt know how to do this let alone what it means.  Can you post easy to follow steps to do this?  If not, its not a solution.

Samsung forced an update and bricked my phone, like all these other folks. That is the fact.

And Samsung NOT STEPPING UP when so many are affected is another clear fact.

Remember when apple was recently found to be "adjusting" older phones which dramatically slowed them down?  What Samsung has done is WORSE imho. Because at least the apple folks had functioning devices, albeit very slow.

OURS are CRASHING CONSTANTLY.

But yeah, Samsung offered tofix mine for $500.

Samsung has made a $800 US paperweight of my Note 4.........and that is so wrong.

Samsung could fix this easily.   yet they do not.

WHy would they......if they (Samsung and Android) can effectively shorten the lifespan of their deviced thru software, they win because folks have to buy new phones with new Android licenses.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Note 4 rebooting, restarting, freezing, not restarting properly - NOT RESOLVED

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was experimenting with my phone till the point is is not usable anymore. I downloaded zipped kernel placed on SD and tried to run it upon phone boot. Unfortunately got errors and now my phone botts into T-MOBILE logo and stalls.
I have been looking for places to download Note-4 ROMs but  so far have not found one that works. Downloaded 3 of them and they perfectly matched my phone model but all of them crashed.
I also tried to instal TWRP hoping to al least to have more controll over the boot process, but it failed as well.  Yesterday (until my recent install which crashed) phone was working for some time then either going to sleep mode or was rebooting suddenly. As an experiment I left the phone for several hours on a BOOT MENY (no reboots, no freezing everything OK). That proves the problem is with the software (not hardware). Although I do not know all Android internals I do some minor Android development and have 35+ yrs IT experience. I can tell all of you one thing for sure:
DO NOT SEND YOUR PHONE TO SAMSUNG FOR REPAIR - it would be waste of money.

HERE IS WHAT ALL PEOPLE HAVING THE ISSUE SHOULD DO:

1. Email SAMSUNG SUPPORT or call to have them create a trouble ticket.

2. Create an account and login to BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU (if you are in USA or CANADA). You might find an appropriate organization in EU (as well). Make sure you refer to the Trouble Ticket# in your complain.
3. File a complaint (ask for immediate fix or refund for the phone)
4. Share this link on social media sites
5. Share your problem with your provider REP (store, on-line, phone call etc.)
6. Warn potential new users of SAMSUNG  phones, that they might be facing similar issues after their phone is out of warranty and they possibly be ignorred.
7 Collect and store documentation regarding your contacts with Samsung, or any other parties trying to help you resolve the issue.
8. Create Trouble ticket with your Carrier (your carrier ticket would be separate from Samsung ticket).
9. If you already abought another phone (to exchange with Note4) share this with Samsung explaining why you not purchased Samsung product again.

10. Create a video showing your issue and share it on-line.

There are thousands of people experiencing this problem and are more comming every day. The only way to get the attention and have the issue fixed is to make it LOUD and have Samsung realize that they will loose thousands of potential customers who will never go with Samsung phone again (or perhaps Samsung product again).

PS>

in the meantime share your findings here so we can learn from each other.

BLESSINGS FOR EVERY ONE

Here is one thing I suggest for all of you.

Highlighted
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

WOW

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I talked with Samsung today, the repeople the said that they are working on fixing the problem. I hope that is true. I was sent to Best Buy to have them delete my Knox software? The rep at Best Buy said the other rep was wrong and she won't remove it. She also told me that she used to have a computer that would reload the software correctly and fix the problem but Samsung took the computer away from her because they want to have just one location with the computer? There is another Best Buy that has the computer to fix it but it is a bit of a drive away from me. I'll let you know how that goes. I did download the Wakelock and it seems to be working. My husband has a Note 4 and does not have any problems so far. The rep at Best Buy did say not to reroot the system, she said it causes more problems? Has anyone got an android message about Kernel Panic? That is my OS?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was hoping today to get the firmware download from Samsung website (once I rearned how SMART SWITCH program works). Unfortunately despite I did the backup few days ago I cannot restore it because I get error message "Device Not Supported", so this program is useless (although I've seen some ppl were successful).

Talked to SAMSUN rep today and no help, no fix. I've found correct firmware for Lillipop but when I try to upload it through Odin I get Errors (about the software version). Another words phone expects latest OS (6.1) while I'm trying to push 5.1.1

There are tools to override this but they cost money and I'm not really willing to pay to fix Samsung mistakes.

So far no solution

PS>

Failed Better Business Bureau official complain.  All of you should do this to

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My Note 4 is doing this exact same thing.  This phone is plenty capable of running any of the new OS software.  My issue just started randomly as well.  I have found that when it does reset or turn off, I must remove the battery for 5-10 minutes then turn the phone on.  It usually works after that. But, the problem will return randomly.  I am not paying money and be without a phone to have an issue resolved that is derived from Samsung and/or Google.  I think its just a ploy to get people to have to purchase new phones. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi There,

It is not only on the Galaxy Note 4, I have a Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005) and the rebooting issue showed up three months ago. I bought a new battery, remove the SD card, wipe out clean the phone (factory reset) and nothing has soved the problem. I trued different combinations with things above and no result at all, the phone keeps rebooting by itself and once it does, it goes into a countinuos rebooting loop, it only stops if I connect it to a charger or remove the battery even though the battery is at 80%. My personal opinion is that Samsung introduced a bug in their "old" model Notes to force customers to upgrade. If I am going to change my phone I will move to a different brand.

My two cents,

Cheers from Australia

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello All,

It is 12 JULY 2018 and I have just encountered the same issue. It has been going on for the last 2 days and a few weeks before this my phone was working beautifully for many years. Right at the end, my phone started getting very slow and eventually freezing. Then I had random reboots and now it is unbearable.

I was pretty sure it was because I filled all of my storage space up with apps and the app data. Because of this I was so sure that a wipe and factory reset would solve the issue. To my sad surprise I see that everyone with this phone is having the same problem.

It is clear that since T-Mobile and Samsung is not working to solve this issue for free and right away (as it is clearly their fault for rolling a broken system update out) this may have either been a planned roll out to remove remaining Samsung phones with batteries or even a ploy to have many users who haven't bought a new phone to pay them the money that you haven't been.

Well, conspiracies aside, the issue clearly isn't fixed and I am now on my venture to root my phone. If you have a computer and a few hours to spend on your $800 phone you should probably make this attempt. I mean, your phone is already a brick right? If you brick it through this process it won't matter. Better that you try to fix it through fairly safe and known processes done by others than pay someone $400 to not fix your phone. This is what I've gathered from previous posts anyway. 

I will reiterate, these phones are fully functional computers with a phone interface on them. Rooting them will allow you to do whatever your heart desires with these phones. You wil be able to find earlier versions of the stock OS for this phone and many different OS(s) that are compatible.

Some tips to prepare you before rooting:

The process is not super difficult though may take an hour or two. Follow any directions exactly and be patient through each step. It will be good practice to read ahead a few times before actually doing the steps to know what you are going to do before hand, as well the response you should see. Youtube will be your friend, you can search how to root your note 4 and there will be plenty of videos with instructions there as well.

To root your phone, you should look no further than XDA Developers website. It will be completely free and tried and tested on their site. As well, your likelihood of downloading some fake software/virus is much much less. Search also "how to root your Note 4" and only look at XDA Developers Forum sites for this information. You should finde the below software in these posts:

CF-Root

Odin

Don't let Big Industries like T-Mobile and Samsung ruin your day, go root your phone! Good luck!!

-Melvin

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Here is an interesting article I just read.

It says that of all the phone manufacturers, Samsung has the highest rate of failure. 36%!!

The next closest runner up is at 13%.

https://www.androidauthority.com/phone-models-repair-report-886115/

But it's not only the failure rate. It's the lack of support. In regard to this thread, we cannot even get a slight acknowledgement from Samsung that they even know about the problem. Whenever I called in about this the technician would comment that he's never heard about this problem. Then he'll say he wants to look it up in his system and then says there's no record of any such problem. I told him to look online and he will find THOUSANDS of people complaining about this. Deaf ears. 

I've been hoping that someone reading this would know how to start a class action lawsuit to force Samsung to do something about this.

If not a class action suit, then an advertising campaign to let the public know. THAT, like most companies, would get Samsung's attention.

A friend of mine with a NOTE 4 did not have the problem. He just called me to ask me what to do with his phone that has now been freezing and rebooting. I told him about wake lock. He was thankful that with wake lock he can at least get his phone to work. He didn't have the problem until 2 years after my phone.

https://www.androidauthority.com/phone-models-repair-report-886115/

The article may not be limited to just phones but to all Samsung products.

It's a big company but I guess they don't invest much in quality control.

HELP.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can't believe what I am reading. I thought I did something to my Note 4. I have had the Note 4 since 2014 and it would occassionally reboot but never lock up to the point where I had to take out my battery. Until July 8, 2018 when my phone just started freezing, locking up, and basically crashing everytime I did anything. I thought it was something that auto updated but that wasn't the case as I did a complete rebuild and still nothing. During the rebuild process the phone works perfectly. Once up with nothing updated or installed after about 2 - 3 hours it will act up. Going to try wakelock today and see how that goes but nothing has stabalized it since.