JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Note 9 camera freezes

(Topic created: 10-08-2018 09:24 PM)
Sopopc123
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I've noticed that on my note 9, that the camera freezes while taking pictures. It's worse while shooting videos with a lot of lagging. 

I don't know if anyone one else have experienced this.

812 Replies
user23ssAR9LLc
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Same issue, also have sony camera sensor IMX345. I also have issues with back and recent buttons not responding properly from home screen. If I tap on either directly on the icon it won't register. I have to tap it off to the side. If I'm in an app it works as it should. Very frustrating especially when it's supposed to be Samsungs top of the line device. Customers should have the option to return their device outside the 14 day window when you have issues out of our control. 

0 Likes
userBGEl0oIIPS
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I always have the camera lagging issues, however tonight try to shoot Space X launch, taking all my phone and use the lock screen camera mode, what did I saw? Matrix style camera, all green pixlations... I thought it was because I was in low light, however quit the camera app and start again came back to my normal camera screen.. This has to be fixed SAMSUNG!!! It's a freaking $1000 phone that the basic of the basics doesn't even work properly!!!

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I too got the green matrix looking screen!!! I took a screenshot of it. Did you see if u have the Sony camera on your note 9? You can download for free aida64 and it will show your camera specs.  My camera is Sony. Seems like majority with issues have been Sony cameras on the note 9 as opposed to a Samsung camera. Can't rely on these cameras!!!

0 Likes
userBGEl0oIIPS
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I have the Sony Camera as well.

0 Likes
userBGEl0oIIPS
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Honestly, I think this is more of a hardware issue than software.. Otherwise Samsung would have already fixed the issues by now. Also the President of the Samsung office told you guys to send it in for repairs, I am sure it's because it can't be resolved with an software update.

From what I have gathered camera failed to start and from my own personal experience with the matrix screen and screen lagging every few seconds. I think the camera in our units are faulty.. This not only affects the 512GB also the 128GB as well, I think there is a bad batch of cameras in our units.. I think Samsung is probably trying to quitely replacing the cameras by asking us to send it in, so they don't have to publicly admit they have issues withe the camera. After all, they just recalled the Note 7 for battery issues, they can't afford another public issues such as the Cameragate..

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userBGEl0oIIPS wrote:

Honestly, I think this is more of a hardware issue than software.. Otherwise Samsung would have already fixed the issues by now. Also the President of the Samsung office told you guys to send it in for repairs, I am sure it's because it can't be resolved with an software update.

From what I have gathered camera failed to start and from my own personal experience with the matrix screen and screen lagging every few seconds. I think the camera in our units are faulty.. This not only affects the 512GB also the 128GB as well, I think there is a bad batch of cameras in our units.. I think Samsung is probably trying to quitely replacing the cameras by asking us to send it in, so they don't have to publicly admit they have issues withe the camera. After all, they just recalled the Note 7 for battery issues, they can't afford another public issues such as the Cameragate..

I spoke in detail about the "send in for repair" request with the Office of the President representative that called me. As far as they're concerned, the only thing they can do is ask for us to send our phones in. They don't even know anything about this issue. The rep I spoke to had never heard anyone else report this problem. And therefore sending the phone in for repair is the only option they are allowed to ask. They will expedite the repair process down to 3-5 business days though compared to the 9-10 business days of first level tech support. 

They explained to me that, just like the first level tech support reps, they don't get informed about any software fixes or future updates until the update is released. So they have a very limited list of things they can ask the customer to do. They'll ask you to bring to a local third party repair center first, and if they can't fix it then send it in to Samsung for "repair".

The representative explained to me that the "repair" process involves essentially a diagnostic followed by replacing the motherboard if they determine that's necessary. Otherwise if they can't reproduce the camera lag issue, they'll just send my phone back. Afterwards if the issue still isn't resolved, which it won't be since the software still has the problem, they would look into options for monetary compensation or refund or return. Logically this actually makes a lot of sense. 

So this matches exactly with what SamsungCole and most other people with the problem have reported. If this was a hardware problem, Samsung would not have consistently asked for everyone's basebands. When the Note 7 exploded, basebands had nothing to do with it. 

The main reason it's not a hardware problem has to do with the ability to temporily fix the problem with a simple restart of the phone. If there was a problem with the sensor, the problem would return immediately after restarting the phone. And since everyone's reporting different amounts of time before the problem starts occuring again, this again points almost entirely to a memory leak/driver related issue. If this is the case, it's 100% a software issue and has nothing to do with the hardware Sony IMX-345 sensor that Samsung used on the S9 and S9+ as well. Plus if this was a hardware issue, you'd have trouble taking pictures at all. Or all the pictures would exhibit the same kind of glitch. This problem doesn't stop the camera from taking pictures. It just makes it extremely frustrating when the viewfinder image freezes. When the image isn't frozen, pictures come out just fine. 

0 Likes
userYCRnZLWn84
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I would send mine in if they have me a replacement first. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userYCRnZLWn84 wrote:

I would send mine in if they have me a replacement first. 

They explained to me that's not an option. They don't have any kind of "phone lending" or swapping option. This is a major issue for most people when it comes to sending the phone back to Samsung.

I have two friends who also bought the Note 9. One from T-Mobile and one who got the US unlocked model like me. Both of them have the same problem as I do. I was at the T-Mobile store a week ago and showed them the problem. The guy at the T-Mobile store literally laughed and said he has the same problem! He just restarts his phone every time it happens and he's hoping for an update. 

So no, I highly doubt getting a replacement running the same glitched firmware is going to do anything for you.

0 Likes
userBGEl0oIIPS
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

What you say only some what makes sense.. How can Samsung's President office not aware that Samsung Rep on this subject have already submitted as much info as possible? To me it sounds like only a few people have this issue that's why they are unaware. However if this was a software issue, then most of the phones they have right now will have the same issue, it wouldn't be hard for Samsung to trouble shoot their own Note 9s that they have in the Tech Department. To me there is something Samsung isn't telling us the truth..

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

It's very unlikely that SamsungCole has any way of contacting the office of the president tech support representatives. SamsungCole escalates the issue not to office of president but to whatever dept that could actually start resolving the problem.

You already see plenty of people with the problem. It's all over reddits r/galaxynote9 and xda. But since there's no fix yet, everyone's just waiting for the next update.

Plus this issue happens first in the cameras Pro mode which most people don't use anyway. And if they find the issue most consumers don't immediately try and find a forum to post about it. They bring the phone to their carrier to fix/exchange/return. 

0 Likes