JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Note 9 camera freezes

(Topic created: 10-18-2018 02:27 PM)
Sopopc123
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I've noticed that on my note 9, that the camera freezes while taking pictures. It's worse while shooting videos with a lot of lagging. 

I don't know if anyone one else have experienced this.

812 Replies
quethrosar
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I don't see this issue much on reddit. Most people ignore that there is an issue. We need coverage on this. Forbes follow up or something.. It feels like it's buried. Maybe because it appears to be a USA only issue. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

If you search camera lag or camera freezing on r/galaxynote9 there's a bunch of people posting about it. 

Forbes wrote an article on it and so did a few small tech blogs.

And yea it's primarily a US issue. International users with the exynos models haven't reported the issue. So far everyone who's reported it has said they have the Sony sensor 

0 Likes
TeslaDude
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userI4q3GCFuFx wrote:

It's very unlikely that SamsungCole has any way of contacting the office of the president tech support representatives. SamsungCole escalates the issue not to office of president but to whatever dept that could actually start resolving the problem.

You already see plenty of people with the problem. It's all over reddits r/galaxynote9 and xda. But since there's no fix yet, everyone's just waiting for the next update.

Plus this issue happens first in the cameras Pro mode which most people don't use anyway. And if they find the issue most consumers don't immediately try and find a forum to post about it. They bring the phone to their carrier to fix/exchange/return. 

No, the problem doesn’t only happen in the “Pro” mode. It happens on “Auto” as well. 

user0y6sCaTD7A
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Yeah, I've never used pro mode and it's happening for me.

0 Likes
johnsonroda27
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
this happens to me in every mode including auto ..
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

It's always Pro mode first for me and if I leave it it'll happen in Auto too.  

0 Likes
TeslaDude
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userI4q3GCFuFx wrote:

It's always Pro mode first for me and if I leave it it'll happen in Auto too.  

I guarantee that if you leave it in Auto mode long enough from the start, it'll happen there too.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Have you guys tried using burst in Auto mode when the camera is freezing? It actually caused my camera to completely crash and afterwards it'll work fine for a little while. 

If this is repeatable by you guys, I wonder if the implementation of the DRAM this time around has something to do with the issue. 

0 Likes
quethrosar
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Mine is crashing after 100 and another 25 or so. After crash I can do it all over. 

0 Likes
jeffcarp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I think you're giving way too much weight to any information that the "Office of the President" knows at this point. That's just a fancy name for an elevated tier of customer support. There's nearly zero chance imo, that any tier of customer support knows anything about this issue.

Samsung Electronics has over 300,000 employees. In any organization with that many employees, this issue is attempting to find its way through a bureaucratic nightmare in multiple countries to the small team that has the technical aptitude to assess and fix the issue.  If it involves Sony also, lord help us. Whether the issue has actually reached that team or not, we have no way of knowing. There's no chance that customer support is coordinating with that team and formulating a hushed recall of the phones.

Any suggestion to send the phone back is likely because that's the point that customer service has reached in their standard customer service scripting tool. Likewise, when this issue is fixed, the Internet will know it before any tier of customer support will be informed about it. If the fix is documented, that document will leak.

Similarly, I also put zero weight into this "Samsung doesn't care" nonsense. There's likely 1M of these phones in the market by now. If 500 people are raising this issue (probably more like 100) that's 0.05% of sales. It isn't that Samsung doesn't care, it's that the issue isn't big enough to have  jostled a massive bureaucratic web of a company the size of Samsung yet. The fact that we have two Samsung staff members in this forum that have detailed knowledge of the problem, including example videos, and are willing to keep us somewhat informed is more than we could ever hope for. But it's highly unlikely that they have any connection to the people that fix the problem or even know who/where they are.

In my opinion, there's exactly three people to listen to on this issue: either of the two Samsung staff members in this forum or a credible source online that has leaked official information.  All these posts demanding Samsung to fix the problem or else, are a waste of time.