JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Note 9 camera freezes

(Topic created: 11-16-2018 09:31 PM)
Sopopc123
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I've noticed that on my note 9, that the camera freezes while taking pictures. It's worse while shooting videos with a lot of lagging. 

I don't know if anyone one else have experienced this.

812 Replies
KPsquared
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userI4q3GCFuFx wrote:

@KPsquared wrote:

@TheRabbi wrote:

Somebody suggested to turn off all AI features of the camera. Trying that now.

I've had AI off since September. Made no difference for me. 

Here's what I noticed: I can hear/feel the aperture blades adjusting back and forth right around the time the image freezes.  Even in video it does this. Then I get the message that Camera Failed. When I reopen the camera, it seems to work fine. 

I just got another update today, so I'll see if it glitches again.

I noticed that too but I flipped the camera over and watched the camera lens. The aperture blades do not move when it freeezes. So this issue is not directly caused by the aperture blades. Also the click sound you hear comes from the phone's speakers, not the camera sensor directly. 

Perhaps ours are faulty (4 Note9's, different GB models, mine is 512gb), but that sound and feel definitely come from the camera on mine. I've watched it, put my ear up to it, and had others notice it as well. It's a very faint "click". Also happens each time I change aperture in Pro mode.

But like I said, perhaps it's just the ones we have.

0 Likes
TheRabbi
Comet
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@KPsquared wrote:

@TheRabbi wrote:

Somebody suggested to turn off all AI features of the camera. Trying that now.

I've had AI off since September. Made no difference for me. 

Here's what I noticed: I can hear/feel the aperture blades adjusting back and forth right around the time the image freezes.  Even in video it does this. Then I get the message that Camera Failed. When I reopen the camera, it seems to work fine. 

I just got another update today, so I'll see if it glitches again.

Ah, ok. Thanks for sharing your experience. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Yea that sounds slightly different that mine. I get the click but it doesn't sound like it's coming from the sensor directly. I specifically changed the aperture to see if it's the same sound and it's slightly different. It seems to sound louder if I move my ear closer to the bottom speaker hence why I think it's that.

Also when mine clocks the aperture blades don't move at all. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userI4q3GCFuFx wrote:

Well what do you want as far as a public acknowledgement? There's no news outlets reporting the issue besides the one Forbes article. So why would Samsung want to "publically" [publicly] acknowledge anything if no one even knew they had a problem? 

Samsung has an ethical and legal obligation to tell existing customers about the problem, so we don't waste our time on wild-goose chases with repeated calls to tech support reps who have not been informed about the problem; and an obligation to warn potential customers so they can make an informed choice whether to buy the phone.

Samsung also has an obligation to accept returns for a full refund, because they have sold a product with an unacknowledged serious defect that has persisted for three months, with no predicted end in sight.

0 Likes
SamsungNik
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hey guys, just wanted to check in with you to see if any of you have had an update come through in the last couple of days? If so, can you provide the baseband version and how it's affecting the camera?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
quethrosar
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@SamsungNik wrote:

Hey guys, just wanted to check in with you to see if any of you have had an update come through in the last couple of days? If so, can you provide the baseband version and how it's affecting the camera?

No update on att

0 Likes
TeslaDude
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

No more issues for me. I went out and bought the iPhone XS Max 512GB last night. Adding Apple Care set me back just north of $1,800! But, guess what? I no longer have to worry about my camera not working when I absolutely need it to work. I tried to ditch Apple, but evidently that was a mistake. Samsung has sorely disappointed me. Bad quality and a huge lack of consumer care. I spent all night setting up my iPhone and am already missing the S-Pen, split app support, playing a video while interacting with other apps and customizing my system fonts. But, hey, for an additional $500 I have peace of mind that I won’t miss an important moment when I need to capture it with my camera.  Never again!!! Never ever again, Samsung!! You suck!!!

userT80yY1KMxL
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Good luck w/ Apple @TeslaDude 👍

0 Likes
TeslaDude
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thanks

@userT80yY1KMxL wrote:

Good luck w/ Apple @TeslaDude 👍

Thanks, @userT80yY1KMxL. I’m not holding my breath, but hoping for the best. IOS isn’t as capable as Android, but the iPhone hasn’t disappointed me (too much) over the years. I guess I’ll just wait for Google to create higher capacity phones and add SD card support. The Pixel 3 would have been my first choice, if not for the lack of these two options.

0 Likes
Mikebluv
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Yeah, same here. I switched to Pixel 3xl and love the camera and the battery life get me thru a whole day. The portrait mode is a lot better at blurring the back ground and even has an option to color pop the person and b&w back ground.  Do miss the pen and the higher ram but not enought to loose great pictures of my toddler. 

0 Likes