Original topic:

Note 9 camera freezes

(Topic created: 09-05-2018 08:25 AM)
Sopopc123
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I've noticed that on my note 9, that the camera freezes while taking pictures. It's worse while shooting videos with a lot of lagging. 

I don't know if anyone one else have experienced this.

JUMP TO SOLUTION
812 Replies
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

The freezing seems to be only the image. The camera app itself still seems to be responsive. While the image is frozen if you click any of the options in Pro mode the menu still responds. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
For what it's worth, I've used my Note9 camera a lot (photos and videos, Auto and Pro) and have not encountered this problem. Mine is unlocked SM-N960U1 (on T-Mobile, set up via SmartSwitch from Note8). I've had firmware ARG6, ARH2, ARH4, and currently ARH6.

So either the problem is a hardware defect affecting only a subset of phones, or it's a software defect that only shows up depending on other apps or configurations.

Has anyone exchanged their phone for a new one to see if that fixes the problem? Or checked whether it happens in Safe Mode? That information could help determine the source of the problem.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Already been reported that the freezing doesn't happen pm a fresh restart or safe mode. 

It also doesn't happen when using third party camera apps like Open Camera. 

Nonetheless you can't expect everyone to delete all their apps. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

But after a fresh restart the freezing won't happen at first. But will come back in a few hours or a day or so. So again not a fix to the problem. And it's clear it's not a hardware issue because it works fine after a restart and with their party camera apps. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@Samsung_Stephanie @SamsungLarryK 

Has this problem been officially recognized by Samsung yet?

13 pages of people having problems shouldn't be an isolated case of hardware malfunction...

Everytime I call Samsung tech support I'm told I must have a defective phone and to bring it into a ubreakifix..... How are they supposed to fix this? And apparently most of your tech support agents don't even know Samsung has an official forum. Every time I call it would take 20 minutes just for them to figure out where to find this forum thread...

$1400 for this and the camera is completely unusable.

Tried to take some pictures with friends yesterday. Ended up being a broken mess. After I took less than 10 pictures, no video or slow-mo, the camera app completely crashed. And then it would crash immediately after taking another picture. I got the Camera Failed error message the first time. Then the camera would just crash with no error message. At the end the camera app would literally open, display the image, and crash without me taking a picture. 

And of course, switching to Open Camera and it works fine.... 

But can't use most of the features of this camera on a third party app. 

HOW WILL I MAKE MY AR EMOJIS, SAMSUNG???

HOW WILL I USE BIXBY VISION IF YOUR CAMERA APP DOESN'T WORK?!?!

0 Likes
Docsling
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

SM-N960U

TMOBILE

N960USQS1ARH6

userDWMCLHDyi5
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Model SM-N96OU1

Baseband version

N96OU1EU1ARJ5

AT&T

0 Likes
quethrosar
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Its definitely something that builds up over time to cause the issue. Reboots fix it for awhile. Setting resets can help too for a little.

0 Likes
jeffcarp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

What have you seen for a buildup time? A couple days? A couple hours?

I'm wondering if there is any way to schedule a daily reboot without having root?

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

For me after a restart it'll work fine for a few hours before it starts freezing. Sometimes a day. A daily restart will be like putting a bandaid on your broken leg though. 

0 Likes