JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Note 9 compass error after Pie update

(Topic created: 02-10-2019 02:36 PM)
sbtwilmington
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Since my Note 9 updated to 9.0 and One UI the compass is not working accurately.  About 90 degrees off. I've calibrated it several times (*#0*#) with no success. Anyone else experience this and is there a fix?  This is happening without a case on the phone so there is no interference from that.

195 Replies
thom_bjork
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I have the same problem and so does my girlfriend. We both have a Sprint Note9 running Android Pie. I've tried calibrating, rebooting, and checking the *#0*# menu. It's always off by about +90 degrees. This is really frustrating.

0 Likes
user2DXzuXN7hs
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Same issue here. Glad my phone updated itself while I'm in a foreign country and have been trying to navigate by walking around, super frustrating.  

0 Likes
Sarah McCarty
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Same, and I have a family member whose compass was working before the update broke it.
0 Likes
userasSPyNt77G
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
We have the same problem with both of our Note 9 phones. Compass is off by 90 degrees. Based on all of the posts I've read this does not seem like a carrier related issue. It is a Samsung issue.
0 Likes
B2theRyan
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I am having the same problem and it's driving me crazy.  When facing north,  my phone says that I am facing east. I have also recalibrated multiple times in all different areas and it keeps going back to the same incorrect calibration

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I have the exact same issue. After the update, the compass and any app using it failed!

I checked another note 9 with the new update, it has same issue! I also checked at a local at&t store, I found there a note 9, without the update, it was fine!

The update broke the sensor and my apps are not working properly.

I use my phone for astronomy, and all astro apps now broken, the go to same point (west) no matter where you point your phone.

I chatted with Samsung, at&t and called them, they all want me to go to ubreakitifixit, which is an hour drive.

When I called Ubreakit, they said, they normally do what I did, checking tand calibrating, clearing cache, resetting the phone.

I think it is android 9, and all the rest is waste of time.

I am still unable to solve the issue!

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Give them a hand. The moderators say they are reporting all this to R&D. Give then a hand. They are looking for the model number,  the baseband version and your carrier. Model and baseband can be found at Settings>about phone>software information. 

0 Likes
user1FJ17rRP5V
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

So, The new update IS the problem. I called ATT and had a new phone sent to me. This phone is under Samsung warranty. Now, with the old software, the compass and satelllite finder work great!!!!!! These phones are warrantied for 1 year through Samsung. Just get a new phone sent to you.! Doesn't matter if you have or do not have insurance!

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Well, I think you will get a used phone, open box or returned one, may not be as good as your own phone.

Since the software is the issue, you will get the same problem soon!

The only solution is new update.

0 Likes
user1FJ17rRP5V
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Ofcourse it's a used phone. But, it works and I can continue to do my job. Just cant use wifi but I have an unlimited plan anyway.

0 Likes