JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Note 9 compass error after Pie update

(Topic created: 02-18-2019 06:48 AM)
sbtwilmington
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Since my Note 9 updated to 9.0 and One UI the compass is not working accurately.  About 90 degrees off. I've calibrated it several times (*#0*#) with no success. Anyone else experience this and is there a fix?  This is happening without a case on the phone so there is no interference from that.

195 Replies
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

And it's a different version.  CSC1 and not CSB3

0 Likes
user2Ypu2AorAl
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Well Hallelyjah!  The update to correct the Note 9 compass error after pie update Just came thru from At&t.  Compass & all other app's that use the compass now work fine. Took 5 to 10 min for the update to install.

0 Likes
userW7VNxuxW2F
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

It is the phone after the update....... this is bull and samsung needs to release the update to fix it.... bar none..... this is absolutely absurd!

kudzus
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Any update as to when or if we will see a fix ... I tryed to use my Maps today  and every 5 min it was asking me to calibrate the compass. My Note 9 is useless till we get a fix ... Please help

I don't want to change brands ... Maybe someone could tell me how/if I could use Odin to go back to 8.1 ... this is a Sprint USA phone

Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Here is what I got from Samsung:

This is Shubhangi from Samsung Technical Support.Thank you for writing back to us.

I have reviewed email and I understand that you are experiencing the issue after the new update Compass app does not point to the right direction on your Note 9 phone, and you have already performed the related troubleshooting's as well. I appreciate your efforts to resolving the resolving the issue, I am sorry you had to deal with this inconvenience.I can certainly assist you with this.

There will be a maintenance update release soon that will address this issue. Our dedicated team is working on the update.

If you wish to chat, email or call us for any other questions, please go to the "Contact Us" option available on the right hand side of the support page.

Thank you for choosing Samsung products.

Sincerely,
Shubhangi 

0 Likes
user1FJ17rRP5V
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

After this issue has occurred I most likely will not go with Samsung on my next purchase. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
@SamsungJoJo wrote:

I recommend reaching out to your carrier to see if they support this feature with the new update.

Thanks, Samsung. That's like visiting a doctor's office for a broken arm, and being told to go ask your dentist if your new dental coverage still lets you use your arm.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
@SamsungAdam wrote:

Our development team is aware of the symptoms and working on an update. There is no current ETA on the fix

Your developers were aware of the camera-freeze problem for FIVE MONTHS before they fixed it. And now, just a few weeks later, there's ANOTHER major component that's broken for perhaps months to come.

Why didn't Samsung find and fix this failure BEFORE releasing the update? Don't they conduct standard tests on new software? Or did they release the software even though they knew they'd broken the compass?

0 Likes
userMuk6sYXUxe
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

My compass doesn't seem to work either, but i didn't test it prior to the pie update.

I just tried using sky map. It sends to always point west regardless of where i move the phone.

With other compass apps, when the phone is held horizontally, the compass is 90deg ccw off: west shows up as North for example. North shows up as east (true heading). 

There is a u break i fix in Ventura, but that is a bit of a trip.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Many have taken theirs to shops over this problem, but there isn't a mechanical problem with the phone. It's a firmware bug with the sensor.  Samsung knows of the problem and is working on it. The problem seems to be limited to devices that the broadband version ends with CSAA. Give them some time to isolate the bug and fix it. 

0 Likes