JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Note 9 compass error after Pie update

(Topic created: 02-06-2019 01:35 PM)
sbtwilmington
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Since my Note 9 updated to 9.0 and One UI the compass is not working accurately.  About 90 degrees off. I've calibrated it several times (*#0*#) with no success. Anyone else experience this and is there a fix?  This is happening without a case on the phone so there is no interference from that.

JUMP TO SOLUTION
195 Replies
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I was close to ubreakifix today and asked them, they say they normally get the latest firmware from Samsung and the carrier, they say, they do not know of any update after android 9 and niether samsung nor at&t has told them anything about it.

I also talked to someone who identified himself as manager on at&t chat, all he did, he opened a case and gave me a case number and said, I can also file a warranty case.

He says, AT&T did not get any updates from Samsung.

Hopefully, it is not a game between Google and Samsung.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userKJL5mwC3Qg wrote:

Each carrier, including AT&T, has a webpage saying what its latest Note9 firmware version is (just Google it).

And that statement is totally correct.  The LATEST Note9 firmware IS CSAA.  That is the latest that AT&T has issued to the public.  But it is not the latest that AT&T has in their labs that they are working on and are about to release.  

0 Likes
Turp386
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Ought to be one heck of a release. I mean since February 2nd they been cooking this one.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@Big-Bad-Brad wrote:

@userKJL5mwC3Qg wrote:

Each carrier, including AT&T, has a webpage saying what its latest Note9 firmware version is (just Google it).

And that statement is totally correct.  The LATEST Note9 firmware IS CSAA.

No, the latest Note9 firmware in the US is CSB3. But AT&T has not released it yet for AT&T users. See here, for example:

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-38176

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userKJL5mwC3Qg wrote:

@Big-Bad-Brad wrote:

@userKJL5mwC3Qg wrote:

No, the latest Note9 firmware in the US is CSB3. But AT&T has not released it yet for AT&T users. See here, for example:

Yes, you are correct.  The latest in the US is CSB3.  The latest that AT&T has sent out is CSAA.  So as an AT&T user, MY latest is CSAA.  I was referring to AT&T and not the remainder of the US since the other carriers have already gotten CSB3.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hi Brad,

Do you know the difference between:

SM-N960U1

AND  

SM-N960U

?

Thanks 

@Big-Bad-Brad wrote:

@userKJL5mwC3Qg wrote:

@Big-Bad-Brad wrote:

@userKJL5mwC3Qg wrote:

Yes, you are correct.  The latest in the US is CSB3.  The latest that AT&T has sent out is CSAA.  So as an AT&T user, MY latest is CSAA.  I was referring to AT&T and not the remainder of the US since the other carriers have already gotten CSB3.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

We have a saying in I.T. work.  It's called "Goggle that S..... uh... Stuff"

https://www.techwalls.com/samsung-galaxy-note-9-sm-n960-model-number-differences/

Basically, the processor, the Ram, the Storage, the area of operation (US, Europe, Asia...) the color, the frequencies, the carriers.......

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Well, I do feel bad when I post here, because Samsung is absent. I found that an AT&T update is available for SM-N960U1 but not for SM-N960U, I have the later. If you do not like the question, please, You do not have to answer. I did google it before posting, but it didn't give reason why one has the new update available for download (not OTA) but not the other. Thank you again.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Why AT&T hasn't released the CSB3 update yet, I have no idea.  No offence meant to anybody here on this forum, including the moderators, but the person that is sitting at a computer screen, answering the phone and reading from a prepared script isn't going to know what is going on behind the scene.  And if you do manage to get hold of someone higher up, they could well have been told not to mention it to anyone.  The "We have no idea of what you are asking about" defense.  

This bug was pointed out to Samsung 188 posts ago and a about a month and a half ago.  It was determined that apparently CSAA had a bug that threw the compass off by about 90 degrees.  Samsung listened.  Evaluated and repaired the glitch resulting in update CSB3 which, according to users have recieved the update, corrected the problem with the compass.  Samsung does not distribute the updates to the users.  That is done through the carriers for some phones.  Why AT&T has held up the distribution, we have no idea.  Evaluation, testing, adding more updates....  Until it is released, we have no idea.  

Samsung moderators were here early on in the discussion and has passed the information on.  They were getting information on the Firmware that was causing the problem.  They fixed it.  We are just waiting on AT&T to pass it down.  

AT&T's support page still shows that CSAA is the latest firmware version out.  This is only for AT&T phones.  So.....  I, and others wait.  

https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/stepbystep/id/stepbystep_KM1278532?make=Samsung&mode...

Turp386
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hey SamsungCole, any word yet? A good while back one of the moderators  said they were working on it with no ETA. They really meant that part. Maybe they need to get with some of the coders from Verizon or T Mobile or something as their's is fixed. Cmon AT&T

0 Likes